Winding Down

Hello again! As the program is coming to an end, I am sad to report that I have been sick for the past two weeks and have not been able to make it on any exciting excursions. But I have been able to try some amazing food, lately, and let’s be honest, probably half of the reason why anybody comes to China is for the food.

Last Sunday, I decided to visit my grandma, who lives about an hour away from the campus. Like most Asian American families, my parents worked all the time and my grandma was the one who raised me, so I grew up on her food. Before this program, I had not seen my grandma in ten years, so it was a very tearful and sentimental reunion. Having her cooking again brought back a whirlwind of memories. She made me zhajiangmian, which are thick wheat noodles topped with a savory soybean paste. They are usually also served with cucumbers for an added crunch. Although my mom comes to a close second (sorry mom!), these were without a doubt the best zhajiangmian I have ever had. This is a classic Beijing dish, and although you can find it in nearly every Beijing restaurant, and even in the PKU dining halls, I don’t think it’s ever as good homemade, because the sauce tends to not be fresh when served elsewhere.

tumblr_ob5nguV7Xu1sww7reo2_1280

Another type of noodles that have been my favorite are biang biang noodles. This restaurant is very close to campus, just outside of the south gate. They’re known for their thick knife cut noodles, which are served in a savory sauce and topped with meat, cabbage, and lots of garlic. These are so good I have to eat them once a week!

tumblr_ob5nguV7Xu1sww7reo1_1280