Delicious Turkish Food

Hagar Gomaa, Koç University Exchange, Fall 2013

I felt that this blog post was necessary since I have neglected to mention one of my most important experiences in Turkey, the food! Overall I enjoyed the Turkish cuisine although I confess that I succumbed to American fast food a few times. Here are a few of my favorites:

1.) Baklava: Layers of thin phyllo with nuts inside and covered in honey syrup. I’ve had baklava before my trip to Turkey because it is a part of middle eastern cuisine.

2.) Iskender Kabab: Adish that combines layers of shaved meat over bits of pita with tomato sauce on top and yogurt on the side. I had this dish several times and absolutely loved it, it is definitely one of the must have dishes.

3.) Pide: Fresh baked pita bread and you have the option to choose a stuffing for the bread. The bread could be filled with different kinds of cheese, ground beef, or pastrami. I had a store in the student center that served pide and would often order it with a small salad.

4.) Mati: Turkish form of ravioli. The ravioli is stuffed with lamb or beef and served in a spicy yogurt sauce.

5.) Kebab: A grilled lamb skewer which may be the most famous of all Turkish cuisine. It’s one of my favorites because it is the perfect balance of savory spicy deliciousness.

6.) Döner: A popular street food that consists of slow cooked meat or chicken that is stuffed in a wrap or bread along with onions, lettuce, and tomatoes. Döner was a convenient food to have on the go and I had it several times while shopping in Taksim.

7.) Mercimek Köftesi: A vegetarian meatball made from onions, lentils, and tomatoes. I had it for breakfast with pita bread and also as an appetizer before lunch and dinner.