MSL Alumni Andrew Nguyen (MSL ‘19) Launches COVID Testing Company

Andrew Nguyen, a 2019 graduate of the MSL full-time residential program, has been on-the-go since graduating from the Master of Science in Law program: he started a COVID testing company and recently began medical school. Andrew recently connected with MSL Senior Program Coordinator Nicole Schneider to discuss his activities and the importance of the MSL program in helping him achieve his goals. Check out the interview below!

Nicole Schneider: What brought you to Northwestern University’s Master of Science in Law program?

Andrew Nguyen: I joined the MSL program because I wanted to learn how law and regulation impact the field of medicine. I ended up focusing my MSL studies on regulation and business courses, specifically as those topics pertain to healthcare.

Nicole Schneider: During your time in the MSL Program, what were your favorite classes?

Andrew Nguyen: There were many! I really liked the Entrepreneurship Lab, where we got to develop an idea for a medical device and take the steps to launch our own company and product.

I also really enjoyed the Public Persuasion course because it taught me about effective communication. STEM students tend to be very detail-oriented, and that doesn’t always translate well in presentations and pitches. Our professor gave us strategies to help focus and improve our communication. 

Other classes that come to mind are Intro to Taxation: Business Income; Cases in New Venture Strategies; Communicating Scientific Information (where we got to be “expert witnesses”); and Health Care Law & Regulation, perhaps the class most relevant to my future career in medicine.

Nicole Schneider: Are there any classes you wish you had taken?

Andrew Nguyen: I wish I had taken Employment Law; I think this class would be helpful to me both as an employee and as an employer. I would have also liked to take the class exploring regulatory compliance throughout the pharma life cycle. I did get to write a paper on pharmaceuticals in my IP Investments class; it was eye-opening to learn how much the pharmaceutical industry is regulated by patents.

Nicole Schneider: What was your favorite event during the MSL program?

Andrew Nguyen: The inaugural MSL Symposium, “At The Intersection.” The symposium was an opportunity for everyone in the program to demonstrate to the community what we learned throughout our MSL year. I presented my Entrepreneurship Lab project – a long-term ADHD diagnostic app disguised as a smartphone game – with my teammates. And I also presented a poster on the regulatory, business, and tax considerations of starting a private medical practice. There were a bunch of interesting presentations; I enjoyed seeing the fruits my classmates’ hard work throughout the year.

Nicole Schneider: Can you tell me about how you started your business, the 360 Clinic?

Andrew Nguyen: When in quarantine, I was reading up on insurance coverage for COVID testing. In Los Angeles, free testing sites were already popping up, but in Orange County (where I was), there was very little information about testing sites. Obviously there was a need, but I didn’t really know a lot about how these testing sites were being funded.

At the time, I was working for a home health/hospice company that has strong ties to my community; the company was also interested in establishing a testing program. Also, I knew a little bit about how to run a large-scale operation, because I have worked with my parents to put together free health fairs every year.

It was hard at the beginning. I was reading legislation and regulatory guidelines, trying to piece things together. Things got a little easier when we contacted the California Department of Public Health to get the necessary permit for our first free test-run; they straight up gave us a lot of the answers we needed.  So that was a good wake-up call – there are experts out there who can help you figure things out!

We began small, going to private offices and offering employee testing. We billed insurance for reimbursement, so this was all free of charge to employers and employees. It was a new business model that hadn’t been explored yet. There were obviously other companies testing in our area – but they wanted cash payment up front from each patient.

As we grew, the Orange County Department of Public Health got wind of what we were doing and asked us to send them a proposal, which we did. Then they contacted us to ask how much money we wanted from them. And we told them we didn’t need any money and explained our business model. And they said “We’ve been looking for this model forever.” So we created a partnership with the Orange County Department of Public Health.

We had two weeks to put together a plan and set it up. I remember working through July 4th weekend — calls, emails, tweaking our process, crossing our t’s and dotting our i’s. And then in mid-July, we had our grand opening at Anaheim Convention Center.

We’re doing great now. We launched our second location in Orange County at the OC Fairgrounds in Costa Mesa. And in a couple weeks, we’re also planning a flu shot drive through.

Nicole Schneider: What knowledge and skills did you gain from the MSL Program that helped you with the business?

Andrew Nguyen: Being able to read regulations and understand relevant law are big distinguishers. I was told that people were impressed by our pitch deck because it included relevant legal citations, whereas other companies did not include anything about the legal aspects. I also learned a lot of other things – the need for strong communication, an agile team, quick legal research, managing Zoom meetings, and following up! Following up!!!!!! Being willing to do whatever needs to be done. If that’s cleaning up, then you clean up. If that’s bringing out a bucket of ice to a station, or driving 2 hours to another site, you do it.

Operating in a startup, you’re putting out multiple fires every day. You wear so many different hats and inherit other people’s problems until eventually you’re able to hire someone else to handle that specific issue. The MSL program gave me the breadth of knowledge to be able to know a little bit about different subject areas so I could combat each issue that came up. Obviously, there’s not going to be a catch-all class or book that teaches you how to handle EVERYTHING, but the MSL was a long term investment to improve myself. It was the most fun, and the best year of school I’ve had.

Nicole Schneider: What parts of working with the startup do you find most challenging and most enjoyable?

Andrew Nguyen: One challenge has been hiring; we haven’t always made the correct hiring choices, and I have had to find my own method in letting employees go. It’s not easy and it’s really something that can only be experienced firsthand.

As to the best part of the position, I enjoy being helpful in general. Being able to answer a question. Also, knowing that my effort is going to directly impact the lives of others. I’m also really grateful I get to meet so many people involved in combating the biggest health issue going on right now. Oh yeah, and being able to apply what I learned in the MSL classroom to my job.

Nicole Schneider: Now that you are in medical school, how are you using your MSL knowledge?  

Andrew Nguyen: I would not have been able to start medical school without my MSL education.  The MSL program taught me to keep the big picture in mind. Of course, the beginning of med school is all about science and memorization. Lots of memorization. Did I mention, memorization? But once we move along in medical school, and get out of the classroom, we will be relying much more on our judgment. Knowing how to ask the important questions and evaluating the answers – that’s what the MSL program trained me to do. 

Nicole Schneider: What moment in your career are you most proud of to date?

Andrew Nguyen: Getting my parents tested at my drive-through site. I think as first or second generation immigrants, we all have this dream that we can give back to our parents due to the sacrifices they’ve made for us. I don’t think I can repay my parents in my lifetime, but in this small way, I was able to help them.

Nicole Schneider: What advice do you have for current students in the MSL Program?

Andrew Nguyen: Understand and appreciate the value of being a student at Northwestern Law. You can go to any of the amazing professors and ask them a question about things outside of class. Don’t have a question yet, but think you might in the future? Introduce yourself now, so when you graduate, you can email them. You can go to the IT department and ask them computer questions, and they’re willing to help you. As a student, you can email pretty much ANYONE, and they’re inclined to help you.

Also, get to know your classmates!  My classmates have helped me so much, with my business and with medical school. Make connections and then stay connected after you graduate.  You’d be surprised how willing your classmates are to help you.

Nicole Schneider: In the long-term, what goals do you hope to achieve?

Andrew Nguyen: I want to be the type of doctor who can help patients beyond the clinic or the hospital. In the clinic, I know I can treat patients one at a time. But is there some sort of program I can direct them to, or even create, that would allow me to help multiple patients at a time? Can I help them with their structural issues – getting adequate transportation, shelter, etc.? That’s my long term goal. Oh, and making my parents proud. 🙂