Not Europe

Upon sharing my plans to study abroad in Morocco, most reactions consisted of something like “Wow!” “You chose a great country,” and “You’ll have so much fun!”

But there was one particular reaction that stood out to me. Sometimes that reaction bugs me. Sometimes it feels like an itch that needs to be scratched. And sometimes I wish I had the opportunity to further discuss what I felt, so I guess I’ll do that now.

“Interesting” was the reply.

Either I had a great breakfast that day—Nutella waffles and eggs—or my golden hoop earrings made me feel powerful. To make it evident that I did not like his reply, I leaned forward and raised an eyebrow, asking for an explanation.

The reply was something along the lines of “I thought it would be someplace in Europe.”

I leaned back into my seat. Frankly, I completely understood that. Every summer, I would hop onto Facebook to see students posting their study abroad pictures—the majority, if not all, from their time in Europe.

So why does his reply bother me sometimes? Perhaps it was a reminder that Northwestern’s study abroad programs are heavily centered in Europe. Or perhaps it was a reminder that most students steer toward programs in Europe. Thus, I encourage Northwestern to expand their study abroad programs to include more countries in Asia, Africa, and Latin America, and I simultaneously encourage students to step outside their comfort zone.

There’s more out there than just Europe. Learn about the countries that Europe profited from and challenge distorted views about those countries. Immerse yourself in a culture you are not familiar with—possibly because Western media chooses not to highlight the beauty of that culture. I chose to study abroad in Morocco because I wanted to learn Arabic, to experience Ramadan, to gain insight on the impacts of French and Spanish colonization. And, yes, I also wanted to see the Blue City, to try tagine and couscous, and to take pictures on a camel.

I had an unparalleled time in Morocco. I learned Arabic. I gained insight about the different languages that Moroccans knew—Arabic, French, English, Spanish, and some even knew Turkish and Urdu. I took in the aroma of spices and henna as I walked down the streets of the old Medina in Fez. I listened to my Moroccan friends bargain in Arabic as they helped me shop. I learned about the symbolism of monotheism in the geometric artworks found in the mosques and madrasas. I felt the warmth of Moroccans when they’d greet me with a 3-part Moroccan kiss (see my other blog).

Morocco is more than “interesting.” It’s a country full of affectionate and hospitable people who know multiple languages. It’s a country full of color, palm trees, olives, and picturesque Islamic architecture. The list goes on. So yes, I am extremely grateful that I chose Morocco over the long list of European countries I could have chosen from.

Thank you to Nikita Schwartzman for capturing all the beautiful pictures during our time abroad!