Good to be Back

Helllooooo Chicago!

I remember first landing in Barcelona and thinking about how long six weeks is and stressing about my Spanish skills; all that feels like ages ago. When I finally landed back in Chicago (after studying abroad and travelling a bit outside of Spain) and entered my house, I felt the unique feeling of comfort that only comes with being at home. I felt ready to plop onto my bed and do absolutely nothing…and so I did; I was definitely ready to be back home. Something I find interesting, however, is that whenever someone would ask me about my time abroad, I did not really know what to say. My friends and family asked me to tell them everything since I had been gone for so long, but I didn’t even know where to begin; my time abroad felt like a dream that I wasn’t quite sure really happened. I had so many memories and unforgettable times that I had in my mind after my trip, but to describe them was more difficult than I had thought. More than anything, this makes me realize how much going abroad has affected my individual growth; all these memories make up an experience unique to me and they all contributed to my character. I have never been so open to new experiences and so assured in my ability to go through with something that scares me. As cheesy as it may sound, I think studying abroad has helped me realize how truly capable I am of being independent and making decisions on my own, something I think I had lacked before the trip. As much as I enjoy being home and spending time with my family, I’m so grateful to have photos with me that will bring me back to my trip in an instant and remind me of all the wonderful people I met, the beautiful places I saw, and the times I conquered my fears and doubts.