Finding Space to Think

I have always loved cities, and Berlin is no exception. The bustling streets, the people, the constant hum, the late nights out, the endless things to do, all seem to beckon to me no matter where I am. However, sometimes you just need to find time to think– a clear space to clear your head– so lately I have been adventuring in Berlin to find my own little pockets of solitude.

The first week, I found Viktoriapark. This beautiful hilly park is the icon of Kreuzberg, my local “kiez” (neighborhood), with green fields perfect for laying out with friends and watching the sunset, a small, babbling man-made waterfall all down the side, and one of the best views in Berlin. I come here often to eat kebap or gelato by myself and write, think, or dream, but it is also where I bring anyone I know who is visiting! A perfect little respite from the city below.

Tiergarten is another Berlin fixture! Originally created so that the royalty had a place to hunt game, the centrally located park is now home to a fantastic biergarten, ponds, bike paths, gardens, and acres and acres of perfect green grass and trees for a hot day.

Most recently, I made my way out to Schlachtensee and Grunewald. Schalchtensee is the cleanest lake (of many, many lakes) in the Berlin area and is a beautiful little spot to relax under some trees and go for a dip (that is if you can find a spot!). Grunewald, in which Schalchtensee and Wannsee are located, is a massive patch of green in which you can find an old Cold War spy station, wild flower patches, community gardens, and enough trees to get lost in.

So yes, I love Berlin, and I love its hustle and bustle, but I also love being able to find spaces to just stand still and listen to the birds and the wind through the trees. Berlin really has it all, and I couldn’t be happier to be here to discover it!