Alexandria Clemons, Pre-Berlin 2017!

Hey guys! My name is Alex and I am officially a junior at NU. I am a Legal Studies major born and raised in Los Angeles, California. My job here is to update you all summer long with a bunch of interesting stuff from overseas. So here goes my first post lol.

I am filled with excitement as I prepare to study abroad in Berlin, Germany. This is very scary for me and something very new, but I am pretty sure I am going to benefit from it. For starters, getting your personal items together is very stressful like insurance, medical check-ups, funds, and packing. I had about three different doctors appointments in one day because I have a dad who cares deeply about my health. I already know I am going to have troubles coming back because my luggage was already over the 50lb limit which is fine because I have a numerous amount of clothing options. Now that it is really hitting me that I will be in another country, I cannot help but to think what a German is going to say when I pull out my German-English dictionary and awkwardly walk around like a tourist. I will try my best to avoid that, but at this point I only know basic words even though I am positive my German vocabulary will expand along the way. I have received many mixed opinions about going to this foreign land. Some are worried for me while others are very excited. The main debate that is always up in the air for me is “How will you be treated as an American?”. I honestly think I will be fine, I have nothing but respect for the culture and I have a genuine interest in learning more about the people and the wonderful country that I am in.

I have a few friends and family who have been to Berlin. They suggested a couple of restaurants and “tourist” attractions. I am finally realizing that I will be away from home for two months in another country which is way different from being away from home in the SAME country. But, a cliche as this sounds, it is a one in a lifetime chance. The experience and exposure is going to be grand!

I have to adapt to the culture and hopefully adopt it as well.

Lets gooooooooooooooooo!

Displaying IMG_9989.JPG