Berlin, Neue home

I can’t believe that I’ve been in Berlin for over a month already. I’ve done so much, but there is so much that I still want to do and experience in this magnificent city. Over the time I’ve been here, I have really grown to appreciate the enormous amount of culture present in Berlin. I know it may sound obvious, but the name of the program, Berlin: Global City in the Center of Europe is accurately fitting. There are so many people from all over the globe in Berlin, and I love it.

I honestly feel that I hear more Spanish in Berlin than in Evanston. Additionally, I can 100 percent say that I have had more cultural food in Berlin than in Chicago. From Tacos and Arepas to Doners and Currywurst, Berlin has almost any cuisine I can think of. Sure, the Tacos in Berlin are nowhere near the level of those in Pilsen and Little Village in Chicago, but they sure provide me solace when I’m feeling homesick.

Being in Berlin has really made me appreciate not only the culture of the city, but my own cultural background as well. I’ve never felt a stronger desire to find people, activities, and of course, food, that connects to my roots. I guess the reason is because in Chicago, these things are incorporated into my daily life. In Berlin these things are scarce. However, it fills me with joy to know that I can find a slice from home even in Berlin.

Embassy of Mexico, Berlin

Embassy of Mexico, Berlin

In my last blog post I said, “Chicago will always be home, but maybe Berlin will be too.” At this point in the program, I can honestly say that Berlin has become a home away from home. It’s only been a month, but I already feel a deep connection with this city and am dreading the day I have to leave. However, I’m not thinking about that right now, instead, I’m thinking about all the time I have left to enjoy this city, meet new people, make lasting friendships, and of course, eat delicious food.