Taiwan to Hong Kong

by Ann Ku

Hi! I’m Ann, a junior at Northwestern studying Industrial Engineering. Though I’m getting ready to travel to Hong Kong, it’s already been a busy and exciting summer in Asia, as I’ve been interning in Taiwan. After spending time with my relatives and even making friends with my co-workers, I have to say that I’m pretty sad to leave, but I’m excited for the journey coming up ahead.

Initially, I applied to study abroad in Hong Kong because I had visited a few times before on vacation and loved it. Some describe Hong Kong as the “Asian New York City,” but I see it more as NYC meshed with a national park. When I visited and hiked one of the mountain trails, I couldn’t help but stand at the peak and just stare at the view.

Since visiting Hong Kong, I’ve really grown a love for Asian culture and have plans of possibly moving back to Asia long-term. My hope for this study abroad trip is to really engage myself into Hong Kong culture and explore the whole city. I want to really get a taste of what it’s like to live in an Eastern culture city. Some things I’m excited for are the food, the sophisticated transportation system, the scenic nature, and the chance to really get to know the local people here.

You see, I’m from a small town in Iowa, so studying abroad in Hong Kong will definitely be a different experience from the cornfields that I’m used to. In a way, I hope this trip will really challenge me because I really have no long-term experiences living in a big city. I’ve heard from friends that studying abroad is one of the most challenging, yet worthwhile experiences of your life. Throughout my time here, I hope to develop new friendships, new understandings of Asian culture, and new perspectives on life.