Bye Berlin

Of course it all had to come to an end eventually. Strangely though, by the time I left Berlin on my way to Norway afterwards, it didn’t feel like the end. I could have been convinced that I was heading back to Berlin after my short vacation up North. We spent a lot of time in Berlin and because of school and our living situations I feel I got to understand a lot more about how Berlin functions outside of a tourist’s perspective.

Since coming back to the United States, I’ve thanked some people in German for holding the door open, so I’m still getting used to not being in Berlin anymore.

20150811_174744

Google Maps aka Magic

Life in my suburb is really different from Berlin life. Public transportation is almost never a feasible option, grocery trips are to warehouses, and there is actually an astonishingly lesser amount of greenery and trees. Instead of pretty huge buildings and courtyards, I see lots of rows of two and three floor houses with private backyards. I can say that Berlin definitely looks amazing as a city, it’s a marvel just to walk around on many of the streets. Speaking of streets, I got lost on those a lot by the way, the other day I was looking through my phone’s gallery and found tons of screenshots like this,

Which I tried to use to navigate my way around Berlin, though getting lost was always pretty interesting in its own right.

I came back from Berlin with some nice shoes, some new clothes and truly a lot more questions than I left with. I may have got a grip on Berlin, but Europe for all of my life has been this distant mythical thing, along with the rest of the world. So, now that I’ve got a taste, I’m left wondering how France, or Spain, or Romania, or Chile, or Singapore look and I’d love to visit those places one day.

I had a ball in Berlin and it was honestly the best summer of my life. I’m really grateful for the experience and look forward to my next time there.