CPT to EBB (and finally) back to ORD

11426671_1035328116478033_3910618200123405683_o

Cape Point. The breathtaking (quite literally — it was a really windy day) views will forever stay in my heart.

Writing these blog posts has made me miss my time in South Africa dearly. And like Iheoma, I’m often frustrated with the question, “HOW WAS SOUTH AFRICA?” Mostly because all I can say to represent my experiences is a measly “really good,” knowing that isn’t how I feel at all. But I’m not exactly sure why I cannot explain my experiences in a better way. (When I do, it often comes out as a long stream-of-consciousness ramble about my love and frustration with South Africa).

But maybe it’s also because I’m still processing our time in South Africa. Or maybe it’s because I didn’t have time to process it directly after because of my trip directly to Uganda afterwards. I remember sitting in the Cape Town Airport feeling the weirdest mixture of excitement, sadness, and uncertainty. The only thing that felt right in that moment was to eat chocolate and just sit in a corner of the gate and go through favorite memories in my head and collect my hopes for my next six weeks in rural Uganda.

11154100_957288420958671_1981716260_o

Wish I could have been on the plane with these folks on the way back to the United States, but I was embarking on another journey — this time, on my own.

Over our ten weeks in South Africa, I had some of the craziest adventures I know I will never have again, I surrounded myself with the most beautiful landscapes, and I learned incredibly important lessons from great people. I am so thankful to have shared my adventures with peers that I now call good friends. I wouldn’t have wanted any other group by my side through all the bruises and laughs and walks and Taylor Swift-filled van rides. I miss the Maties at Stellenbosch, my homestay family in Masunda, and our amazing professors dearly, but smile when I think about all the new experiences and ideas you brought into my life. South Africa brought me perspective and clarity on pursuing a career in medicine — confirming my value in primary care and community health, but challenging my understanding of my role in medicine and in the global sphere.

11057618_10206325022621150_2456207741639905201_o

Proudly carrying my Stellenbosch bag in Uganda.

Now back in Evanston and looking back on my time in both Uganda and South Africa, I realize just how different my experiences were and how unique each country is: in their strengths, in their identities, in their development, in their challenges. I wouldn’t have traded any of my time in either place for anything, but now more than ever, I am motivated to take the lessons I have learned abroad and the privilege I have as a Northwestern student in the United States to serve others. And I hope that my path will lead me back to South African and Uganda one day.