See ya in a few Chicago!

Hi! I guess I’ll start with just a few speed-dating type facts about myself. My name is Linda Yu and I’m from Chicago. I am currently a sophomore (rising junior) studying Learning and Organizational Change and Economics, and I’ll be going on IPD’s Public Health in China Program in Beijing. Now, you might be thinking (or not) that my choice of study abroad program and my majors don’t really seem to coincide. And you may be wondering why I didn’t choose the Political and Economic Development in China Program instead. But before I get there, I’d like to explain why I chose to study abroad in China.

Long ago (but not that long ago), my parents emigrated from China to the United States. As immigrants, my parents are not very proficient in English. Being born and raised in the states, English has become my primary language. The language barrier between my parents and me is a main reason why I want to study in China. My greatest hope from my time abroad is to improve my Chinese well enough so that communication with my parents never has to be a struggle.

I chose to study public health because of my interest in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM). I’ve been exposed to TCM all my life from my family. I’ve taken herbal soups and remedies to cure my cough or headache. But, being the skeptic I am, I am not entirely convinced. I have many unanswered questions that I expect my time abroad can answer!