Restless and Ready to Go

IMG_1383 (1)

After months of applications, interviews, planning and a whole lot of waiting, today is finally the day. I’m currently sitting at Gate K19 of O’Hare International Airport, clutching my passport and waiting for what seems like forever for the lady at the counter to call out my boarding group.

My name is Joanne, and I’m a rising junior studying journalism. My knowledge of the German language is non-existent, as is my sense of direction. But I can’t seem to sit still just thinking about the adventure that is sure to come these next couple of months.

The prospect of studying abroad has always been appealing to me. Now, in less than 24 hours I will be strolling the cobblestone sidewalks of Berlin, Germany, and I am overwhelmed by the promise of a fresh start. Studying abroad pushes you out of your comfort zone, but it is times like these that you are able to truly discover who you are and who you want to be.

Between the all-consuming finals as well as trying to pack a ridiculous amount of my sophomore memories and rubbish into only five medium-sized boxes, I haven’t been able to really register the fact that I am actually going to Berlin! With its historical museums and landmarks directly juxtaposed by urban chic coffee shops, Berlin is no doubt a unique city. It is a burgeoning metropolis and I am so ready to take in all it has to offer. Berlin, I’m coming for you!