Hammocks and Sweet Tea

Rebekah Williams, Public Health and Development in South Africa, Spring 2014

Hiiiii ya’ll, I’m Rebekah and for the past week and half my days have been consumed by hammock lounging in my backyard and eating copious amounts of my mom’s mac-and-cheese. Also…lots of sweet tea…sweet tea from dawn ‘til dusk. While this sedentary (perhaps slightly-worrisome-for-my-health) lifestyle has been the perfect break after the Polar Vortex Quarter…all good things must come to an end. This week has given me the chance to reflect on the quarter and think about what will begin tomorrow. Having the time to simply stop, pause and think is unheard of the quarter system and this break gave me nothing but time to do this.

Spring quarter of junior year isn’t supposed to be filled with new experiences. Instead heading back to Evanston, you’re a seasoned upperclassman familiar with the coffee of Finals Week, annoyed by the freshman and planning out your stress level while waiting to hear back about internships for the summer. It’s the same-old-same-old.

My spring will be absolutely nothing like that. Every single experience I will have tomorrow and for the next 3 months will be brand new starting with the a 12+ hour plane ride that I hope I have enough movies to get me through. The fact that only the unfamiliar awaits me is thrilling in every possible way. I’m drawn to the familiar and the comfortable and it was about time I shake it up. The Northwestern bubble I built around me for the past three years is going to burst and I for one cannot wait.

Until then I shall be waiting in limbo for 5:44pm tomorrow when my plane will leave the runway. Let the countdown begin.