Chile Travels 1

Michael Aleman, PUC Exchange, Fall 2012

On a personal level, my favorite thing about being able to study abroad in Chile is the opportunity to leave the city behind and get to know what really makes this country unique. Posted below are some pictures with highlights from a couple different places I’ve been.

Valparaíso
This coastal city built along high hills that flow down into the Pacific Ocean has played an important role throughout Chile’s history. It hosts the Chilean Navy and preserves one of the homes of Pablo Neruda, a Chilean poet and nobel laureate. Between the awesomely cheap seafood and beautiful architecture and views I think it is one of my favorite places in Chile thus far.

San Jose de Maipó

Small town deep in the mountains southeast of Santiago. It allows access to a volcano and a number of different ranges high in the Andes, most of which are above the tree line. I arrived during a feria or market day and managed to get some shots of a couple small stalls. I was here just before independence day, so the Chilean flag was flying strong all around.