MSL Student Profile: Faith Breeden (MSL ’22)

Faith Breeden (MSL '22)

A great way to learn about the Master of Science in Law (MSL) program is to get to know its students. MSL students are super interesting and diverse – they have a wide range of backgrounds, interests, and goals. To help you learn more about this interesting group of students, we will be sharing a series of student profiles on the MSL 360 blog. We’ll cover full-time, part-time, online, and residential students. We hope these profiles provide insight into the interesting people who find their way to the MSL program.

The first student in this profile series is a current full-time residential student, Faith Breeden!

Faith Breeden
Prior Degrees Earned: BS, Biology, University of Dayton
MSL Degree Format: Full-Time Residential
Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio

Why did you decide to enroll in the MSL program?

When I finished my undergrad (in May 2021), my biggest regret was not exploring beyond science to learn what I was passionate about outside of STEM. My ultimate career aspirations have not changed, but I wanted to take the time to learn about things I am interested in that will make me a more well-rounded person – the MSL allows me to learn just for the sake of learning! In addition, the MSL is a great program to advance my professional education; I now know things that I find interesting and never thought I would know!

What are your career or education plans after you complete the MSL program?

I want to work in data analytics, science, or policy roles until I attend medical school.

What is your favorite thing about the MSL?

My favorite thing about the program is my classmates and the MSL staff. I have learned from professors in the classroom, and I have also learned from my peers. They are all smart, amazing people that I feel thankful to know and privileged to learn from. The staff really care about my well-being and always make me feel like I am a valued part of the program!

How do you describe the MSL curriculum?

The MSL curriculum is challenging and expansive, but still enjoyable and interesting. I have had to re-learn how to learn, read, and take notes because the content and structure is very different from my undergrad study. Now that I have learned how to make myself successful in this curriculum, I will be a better student going forward.

Describe a memorable or important class in the MSL program; why did that class stick with you?

It is so difficult to pick just one memorable or important class. The first class that comes to my mind is Business Formation and Strategy, mainly because Professor Steve Reed always kept class fun and interesting. I did not think I would like the class as much as I did, but it was interesting and fun. I also really loved Patent Landscape Analysis using Natural Language Processing, a Power Week class taught by Professor Ron Ro. Professor Ro was amazing and taught us how to code and analyze patents, something I am very interested in. He was so willing to help us learn better and you could tell he really wanted us to succeed. The classroom setting was very relaxed and interactive – I would take that class for a full term if it was offered!

Tell us about the MSL faculty.

The MSL faculty have been more supportive than any I have experienced in my entire education (and this is my 17th consecutive year of school)! The staff running the program are beyond helpful and have taken the time to get to know us. The faculty teaching our classes take extra time out of their busy lives to ensure we are successful in classes and get to know us as people, not just students!

Please describe something unique about the MSL program — something that isn’t common in other graduate programs with which you are familiar.

The full-time residential program goes by so fast, but there are so many awesome classes to choose from – I wish I could take more of them! What makes the program unique is that we have two regular terms per semester and two Power Weeks each semester – this allows us to take more classes in the short 9-month academic year.

What would/do you say to somebody who is considering enrolling in the MSL program?

It can be very intimidating to start a program that is outside your discipline or career-track, but it is so worth it to do the MSL! I had a lot of fear and anxiety prior to starting the program – I thought maybe I had gone too far out of my comfort zone – but that is absolutely not the case.

What is a fun fact about you?

During my first term in the MSL, I taught myself how to hand embroider in my free time!

Learn more about MSL students and alumni on our Meet our Students and Meet our Alumni pages!