Shilpa & Mara’s Excellent Adventure – NCUR Edition

Shilpa and I are touring around the country to spread the word about the MSL program. To read about the first legs of our journey, click here and here.

Before I dive into Oklahoma adventures, I must confess that the title is misleading: this was actually a solo adventure. Gasp! No Shilpa?! Believe it or not, I ventured to the great state of Oklahoma by myself for the 2018 NCUR Conference.

I represented the MSL program at the Professional Preparation Fair at NCUR, which took place in UCO’s Wellness Center. Graduate schools from all over the country lined the hallways (and even the track!) of the center, while students participated in poster presentations on the first floor.

Despite many students being scared away from my table upon seeing the word “Law,” I met a great group of STEM students who were very excited by the program. Do you have ideas about how we could update our table cloth design to draw in more STEM students? Comment below!

Not only did I meet interesting students, but also the conference was extremely well-organized. Shout out to the NCUR team for organizing such a successful event! Also, huge thanks to the volunteers for all the help they offered guests and students. One volunteer, in particular, walked past every booth about every hour to check in on our needs.

Cuisine Highlight:

• I had delicious Thai food at Panang Thai Restaurant. The green curry was delicious, and they served me enough food to feed a family of four!

Bonus:

Did you know the Statue of Liberty has a sister in OKC? Neither did I! If you know the story behind this sister statue, please reach out and let me know. I’m very curious.

Bonus 2:

I also had the chance to visit Threshold Climbing Gym. The gym opened in May of last year, and they are already doing a great job of attracting a nice community of climbers. As a huge fan of First Ascent’s gym network in Chicago, I was excited to visit somewhere that seemed to following their commercial-style model. If you are in or happen to pass through OKC, I highly recommend checking it out!

Here is a photo of a cool feature they had on the wall:

Stay tuned for my next leg of travels in California!

Mara Jacobucci
Sr. Program Coordinator