Functional Art

“You can never have too much functional art, Meredith!” My mom regularly defended her cake plate collection to me growing up. I’ve learned a lot from my mother, but the appreciation for art with purpose has been instilled in me since birth. Upon first hearing that we would be field tripping to some architecture exhibit, I was unenthused and felt cheated out of my daily 4:00 PM nap. Little did I know that Casa Battló would be my favorite excursion during my time in Barcelona. The tour itself was guided through a virtual reality phone system that restored the empty apartment back to its former furnishings and original beauty. Antoni Gaudí, visionary of La Sagrada Familia and Park Güell, valued the functionality of his artistic designs. He regularly incorporated naturalistic elements into his work stating that “Nothing is art if it does not come from nature.” My mom would’ve lost it. The central Barcelonian house features six floors of sea and water inspired elemental design. Curved walls, colorful light, and beautiful, blue mosaic are among the most awe-spiring features of the house. My mother was there with me in spirit, as she regularly lives vicariously through me and my iPhone photos. I have attached my own pictures of the apartment to this post, so that you may live vicariously though them as well.