Pre-Departure

Prior to arriving in Beijing, I actually started my trip in Wenzhou in the Zhejiang province. I thought I would visit some family first before my study abroad program. It had been about 10 years since I’d last been there last and it was truly a pleasure seeing my extended family again.

I’m glad I came to Wenzhou first because it allowed me to acclimate myself to China. I was able to submerge myself into Chinese food, the language, as well as the huge difference in time zones without the worry of classes the following day. It was a little scary upon first arriving because I am fully illiterate in Chinese. With my very minimal speaking skills, I was able to find my way at the airport until my relatives came to pick me up. One of the hugest adjustments I had to make was learning how to adapt to the weather. Everyone had said China is incredibly hot however, I was arrogant and underestimated the heat and humidity. It was hot to say the least and especially because Wenzhou was a coastal city, it was always incredibly humid. I could feel the sweat droplets accumulate on my body upon stepping out the door.

Anyways, in Wenzhou, I got to see my family and friends. I was also able to visit the mountain sides and took a nice hike with my aunt, uncle, and cousin. I’ve attached a couple of photos below, one of my extended family and I and another of some food.