Back On Campus

No one could have warned me about how strange it would be being back at Northwestern. A whole entire quarter has passed without me. When I left in August, there were still leaves on the trees and it was so hot that if you spent any amount of time outside you would find yourself covered in sweat. Now the trees are bare, snow covers the ground, and I can’t leave my apartment without a coat and gloves. Beyond the fact that the weather changed, I don’t necessarily feel like I’ve missed anything. It is strange, however, trying to find the old rhythms that I had once been used to.

I find myself missing Paris a lot more than I thought. I mean, it’s hard not to miss being able to walk almost anywhere, being surrounded by beautiful buildings, and the three bakeries within a two minute walk of my homestay. More than the superficial stuff, I also miss being somewhere so different from what I am used to. I’m always going to cherish living in a city where there was always a place to visit that broadened my view of the world.

Of course there are nice things about being back at Northwestern too. I missed my friends a lot, and its great to be taking theatre classes again. But I am trying to figure out the ways I am different after my experience as well as the things I want to keep with me. I think the biggest thing that has changed about me is that I have learned so much about a culture that was a complete mystery before. I have tried new foods, learned a little bit of a new language, and have been introduced to a new way to think about the world. As for what I wish to take with me, I hope that I learn to question everything around me even if I am in a familiar place. I also hope I stay as aware of what is going on outside of the US. Most importantly, I hope that I am able to continue to travel, so I can continue to learn more about the world.