Before I Leave- Again

My experience in Berlin has, thus far, been nothing short of amazing. I’ve grown and matured in ways I previously thought never possible, and despite my strong dejection at having to leave this beautiful city, my experience here has shaped me and makes me even more confident to return to the States and pursue my academic and career goals. Since arriving in Berlin, I have been compelled to step out of my “comfort-zone” and confront many issues that I have not had to directly face back home. For example, in class, my professors encourage discussion and a critical analysis of German society. Witnessing issues of discrimination and societal problems in Germany forces me to understand and analyze said issues in the United States as well, as many issues in Germany often mirror those found in America. However, despite this, I still feel as if Berlin has become a second home for me. I’m already familiar with the public transportation system, I know some of the best restaurants and cafes in town, and I will sorely miss the city once I leave.IMG_1990

Also, despite having no prior knowledge of the German language, nor having taken any German courses at Northwestern prior to arriving in Berlin, I’m quite glad to say that my German skills have improved to a point where I am now able to strike up a basic conversation in the language with a stranger. Living in Germany has probably allowed me to learn more German than I would have learned if I took a full-year German sequence at school.