VIEWS FROM THE GREAT WALL

These past two weeks in Beijing have been unreal. From interacting with the locals, to eating authentic Chinese food daily (this pancake-omelet thing called 煎饼, is a real life-saver) and meeting such great friends, I’m beginning to adjust to life in China. I admit it hasn’t always been easy. I still really miss the comfort of my own home, and the heat can be a little unbearable. But I am determined to take full advantage of my time here.

Yesterday (Saturday), we ventured to the Great Wall! It had been nearly five years to the day since I last climbed this wonder. We climbed a section of the wall called, Jiangshanling. It had way fewer tourists which made it easier to climb and to take pictures. The crazy part about the Great Wall is that each step is unlike the other. Some are steeper than others and some simply don’t exist! I found myself climbing up parts of it with both of my hands! My goal was to venture ever farther than I did five years ago, and I did! The cool thing about it was that I and a few others managed to travel the furthest of the entire group. I think it’s safe to say that I was proud of us.

Views from the Great Wall really reminded me of why I’m here. I came to China to experience something familiar, but also new. Although I’m still adjusting, I realize that my journey in China can be anything I want it to be.

“The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.” Lao Tzu