From the U.S. to China and back to the U.S.

It has been approximately three months since I left for Beijing, and about one month since I have come back. The few months of summer have passed by so quickly that it feels as if it were only a week long. But when I sit down to truly reflect over what has happened in this short span of time, I realize that, in actuality, my two months in China were like a lifetime.

When I first came back to the States after a two month hiatus, it felt like I was visiting a new country again. I was struck by how blue the skies were, how quickly my parent’s car sped through the freeway, and the sudden bombardment of signs that were not in Chinese characters. Still, there are so many things that I miss about China. I miss the busyness of the city, where both the roads and the pedestrian walkways are full of hustling cars and people. I miss the the Beida campus, which was full of scenic sights and traditional-style Chinese buildings. Of course, I miss the food. I lament over not exploring more restaurants that might have been farther away from the student residences, but I relish in my memories of baozi, noodles, dumplings, stir-fry dishes, and congee. As I am back in campus for the start of fall quarter and finding myself back in the dining halls, I reminisce about the savory dishes in the canteens of Beida.

I am excited to see how I will be able to apply what I learned in Beijing to my current studies in Evanston. The IPD Public Health in China program offered me a peek into a long-standing traditional practice of medicine, and this deeply contrasts with the western applications that I am so used to. Though already bombarded by heavy coursework and talks of our upcoming midterms, I am excited to continually engage myself in my passions for medicine and healthcare. For now, I indulge myself in the fond memories I have of the trip and patiently anticipate the next time that I visit the culturally-charged country of China.

Goodbye, Beijing!

Goodbye, Beijing!