Back to Beijing

Hi! I’m Lisa. I’m a chemical engineering junior. The reason I decided to come to China is probably different from everyone else’s because I actually lived in China for four years, and I’m already really familiar with Beijing. So I’m not trying to get new cultural exposure.

The reason I’m coming is actually because I’m interested in the clean energy part of the Wanxiang program. I hate how badly China has polluted their environment, and after I graduate I’m going to try to find work solving this problem. When I lived in Beijing, the air pollution was thick and black, to the point you would avoid going outside, your white clothes would turn gray, it was absolutely necessary to wear a face mask, and seeing blue skies was a rarity. I can’t express how much this affected me, but I can say that physically and mentally, it’s hard to live long-term in this type of environment. Anyway, I am really passionate about fixing this problem, so when I heard about Wanxiang, I thought it would be a good fit for me and decided to apply.

In addition, I also can’t wait to see my friends back in Beijing. Living there for four years, I made a few close friendships with colleagues and roommates, and it was hard to leave them behind. It’s been a year since leaving Beijing, and I’m really excited to see them again! I used to work as an English teacher, below is me and my old colleague in the office.

image1