Berlin, hey whats up hello?

The thought of spending the summer in Berlin invokes some pretty wild emotions within me. On one hand I’m super excited to learn what it feels like to live in a city as awesome as Berlin appears, but on the other hand I’m a bit nervous about the language barriers, the culture shock, and even the international flights. I’ve never been to Europe before and I never spent more than a week outside the United States, so this is going to be really the trip of my current lifetime.

What will it bring? I don’t know, and I can’t even really try to know. I’m from New Jersey, decently close to New York City, as it can be seen in the background below, but my city is nothing like the 3.5 million populated monster that is Berlin. I feel as if I spent the entirety of my two months walking around Berlin I would still need to add a few years to that task if I wanted to see the whole city.

My hometown, with NYC in the distance

My hometown, with NYC in the distance

If only I knew German, I think to myself quite often. Luckily Berlin is quite the international city and I probably won’t starve because I can’t order food. I’m also insanely pumped to be learning a new language, as it’s been a few years since I stretched my throat muscles and it’s a nice break from my typical engineering courses.

The next several weeks are definitely going to be pretty crazy, but I couldn’t be more thrilled that my plans for the summer lay as such.