The Intersection Between Art and Socio-Political Affairs

Hello there, I’m Chileleko Sibayumba! For as long as I can remember, art has been a central part of who I am. It has spoken to me in every way imaginable, from the vibrant dancing of colors in paintings to the soothing melody of a song. Conversely, the world of politics seemed rather dry and dull, seemingly empty of color and emotion.

My perception changed when I took the Media and Politics Minor. Art wasn’t just about activism and propaganda, though I certainly recognized those aspects. What really captivated me was how the two are intricately woven together with art holding the potential to catalyze political discourse, social change, and activism. Through the lens of art, I was able to confront political issues at a deeper level and see how art had the remarkable ability to amplify voices and spark dialogue. Artists like Banksy – who I draw from heavily, served as powerful examples of this.

But here’s the rub. This intersection has an interesting tension. The same art that is used as a form of protest and activism can be absorbed by the very entities they work against. These art pieces are turned into mass-produced merchandise and are sold for millions of dollars. This commercialization dulls the edge of political art and makes it trendy.

Please join me as I share my journey to the newfound understanding of the ‘The Intersection between Art and Socio-Political Affairs’ with an eye on the double-edged sword of commercialization. Here you will find the curated collection of my work which explores the multifaceted relationship between these two disciplines.

Faculty Mentor: Prof. Scott Curtis

E-Portfolio: https://sites.google.com/u.northwestern.edu/chilelekoeportfolio/home?authuser=0