Readjustment and Growth

My experiences in China feel like a combination of something that happened eons ago and something that happened only yesterday. Coming back to the States, I’ve already fallen into a routine of working on medical school interviews, catching up with friends, performing time-consuming errands, and working out the kinks of the upcoming school year. So much so that sometimes I forget that only a month ago, I was trekking the remote regions of the Great Wall trying to not slide off the slippery rocks. Yet some days, I wake up fully prepared to walk downstairs to grab jianbing (Chinese breakfast burrito) and soy milk before heading off to Chinese class.

An exhausting and an unforgettable experience

An exhausting and an unforgettable experience at a part of the wild Great Wall

Whether it’s during my med school interviews or just in general conversation with friends back home, it’s almost inevitable that I begin to talk profusely about my experiences in China. The more I talk about these experiences the more I realize how much they have impacted my world views and views regarding my potential future in healthcare.

I miss these people already!!

I miss these people already!!

Perhaps one of the most valuable aspects of this entire experience was the people I was fortunate enough to meet and befriend. We bonded over our intense Chinese classes, the exciting and adventurous excursions, our eclectic talent show in the end, and our passion for China–the willingness to try new things and really explore the culture. And what I have come to realize is that these relationships I’ve established during the course of this trip are not over. The trip to China was an opportunity that brought all of us together, a chance where we realized that we had common interests and similar passions. As this school year begins, I’m excited to see how everyone grows. My hope is that I will be able to maintain the valuable relationships we were able to form while pushing each other to become more socially aware global citizens.