Hello Spring

Fair warning: I’m not a great writer and this is my first time blogging. I will try my best to describe everything I’m experiencing and doing in South Africa to the best of my ability, but please bear with me.

This quarter I will be studying abroad in South Africa at Stellenbosch University. Before even applying to Northwestern, I was looking at its Global Health program and the various locations students could study abroad. As a freshman, I heard about the South Africa program from a senior in marching band who went the previous year. After listening to all of her experiences I immediately knew that this was the program I wanted to apply for. Her stories of safaris, hiking, and her homestay experience drew me to this program.

After a long winter quarter with organic chemistry, I am looking forward to traveling and experiencing all South Africa has to offer. I can’t wait to learn more about its history, culture, and study under professors at Stellenbosch University. Although I am incredibly excited about this trip, I am also very anxious. I have experience travelling outside of the United States but not really by myself. I have travelled to Kenya with my family and India with other students through GESI, but never by myself. This will be the first time I will be flying solo and I’m a little nervous. Although I’m a little anxious, I know that I will learn a lot about health, South African history, and culture in the classroom and through our experiences.