Until Next Time…

It’s hard to believe just how quickly these past eight weeks have passed by. When we first arrived, we were bright-eyed bushy-tailed as we struggled to assimilate into the completely new environment. Yet as the weeks went on, we became more accustomed to the way things were and our days felt normal and comfortable. Having to leave after our days in China had become so routine is bittersweet; I am excited to go back to California and enjoy the remaining days of summer, but it will be hard to let go of the adventures and memories we had in China.

There will be so many things that I will miss once I leave this country. Every day was full of adventure and surprises, and I would wake up every morning ready to cling onto every moment of the day. However, I think that the most cherished memories will be the small moments that I encountered in my everyday life. As these past few days cruised on by, it was hard to forget about the lingering deadline that creeped up. Even the most mundane activities of taking the perpetually crowded subway and grabbing a quick snack from the convenience store would soon become memories that I would look back and cherish.

Banquet at the Closing Ceremony!

Banquet at the Closing Ceremony!

It is my very last day in China, and I have just returned from the closing ceremony. The banquet was delicious, and the shows were hilarious. My Chinese 2 class performed our own rendition of “Gu Lao Shi” to the tune of “Let It Go.” Other classes did dances, and a few students did solo acts. The two hours passed by quickly, and when the speeches were over and the photos taken, I trudged back into my room. My room, usually littered with snacks and clothes, is unusually bare and polished.

It’s hard to say goodbye to the country, but it is even harder to say goodbye to the friends that I have made in this journey. Even though we will be seeing each other soon when we are back in chilly Evanston, our experiences will not be quite as same as they were in China. Nonetheless, I am so grateful to have been able to experience this trip of a lifetime, and know for a fact that I will return to embrace this country in its entirety in the near future. 再见中国!