Exposure into the World of Finance

Name: Eden Witelson

Year: Sophomore

Major: Economics

Minor: Business Institutions

CFS Class: Business Field Studies

Employer: NewHold

For my fall 2020 CFS internship, I worked at NewHold Enterprises, a Private Equity firm in New York City. At NewHold, I was responsible for evaluating target companies and seeing whether NewHold would want to own them. I got a lot of valuable experience from this, both on the qualitative and quantitative side of things, and got great exposure into the world of finance. I also learned how to examine a company critically and understand its industry and business model. One project that was particularly interesting involved analyzing and modelling the buyout of a lower middle market company. I got to really dig deep into the financial and operational elements of the company and improve my excel and modeling skills. It was also very interesting to put myself in the mind of the investor and think about factors such as return and risk. The specific model I worked on was new to me and took time to learn but the final product made the experience very rewarding. I worked closely with the VP of the firm, who was very communicative and always open to giving me new and interesting projects.

Overall, I think that CFS is a very beneficial program that really helped me hone my professional skills and develop skills that could be transferred to future internships and jobs.