Intellectual Curiosity in Finance

Name: Josh Esmailzadeh
Year: Sophomore
Major: MMSS and Economics
Minor: Statistics
CFS Class: Business Field Studies
Employer: Shore Capital Partners

Over the spring quarter of 2021, I worked as a Private Equity Intern at Shore Capital Partners, a lower middle market private equity firm focused in healthcare, food & beverage, business services, and real estate. My experience at Shore was nothing short of incredible. It was an absolute pleasure going to the office each day and working alongside my fellow interns, as well as analysts, associates, and vice presidents. During the internship, I was given the freedom to explore projects I was passionate about, such as real estate, and gained exposure to new sectors and businesses I was not familiar with but found to be equally gratifying to learn about. I particularly enjoyed learning about the wide array of businesses within business services. Before working at Shore, I knew very little about business services. However, as someone who eventually aims to start my own business, it was extremely interesting to learn about these niche industries.

In addition to learning directly about these industries through building industry roadmaps, I learned equally as much or more through osmosis while working on other tasks. These included taking notes on calls and watching industry webinars, which was likely my favorite assignment at Shore. Other unexpected platforms for learning included conversations with analysts, associates, and vice presidents at Shore, in which they shared their opinions on certain industries. I am confident that these conversations, as well as all of the projects I worked on at Shore will offer me new perspectives and be extremely beneficial for my future endeavors.