Turning Interests into an Internship

Name: David Dunn

Year: Senior

Major: Economics

CFS Class: Business Field Studies

Employer: BJB Group LLC

For the Fall of 2020, I knew I wanted to engage myself in an industry that I had a passion for and an eagerness to learn more. My interest in sports is something I have had since I was 3 years old. With that said, I landed an internship at BJB Group. BJB Group is a small sports agency that represents minor league players on and off the field as they all hope to one day reach the Major Leagues. The minor leagues gives a limited salary to each player that ranges from $6,000-10,000 a year. My favorite moment so far in the internship was when I was able to reach out to multiple memorabilia stores around the Boston area in hopes to land an autograph signing for one of our players. Apart from researching products through social media that we believe would be beneficial to our players, this particular moment gave me the opportunity to use persuasion and negotiation skills so that I could get one of our athletes some extra money. Ultimately, I was able to make a deal that consisted of our athlete signing 100 pieces of baseballs and baseball cards for a total of $2,500. Given that the annual salary for this player is extremely low, this extra $2,500 could go a long way. Furthermore, my boss at BJB is extremely helpful in mentoring me and teaching me more about the industry. I have been able to understand more about the intangibles regarding being a sports agent. He has been very transparent about the industry and my knowledge has only grown because of the opportunity CFS has given me.