Braelyn Enjoys a Rare Opportunity

on

Braelyn Howard(1)Name: Braelyn

Year: Junior

Major: Psychology

CFS Program: Field Studies in Public Health

When I chose to participate in CFS I was hoping to take a break from the normal Northwestern quarter while gaining professional experience related to my major. Interning at the Institute for Therapy through the Arts has been a great opportunity for me to learn more about creative arts therapy and non-profit organizations. While it took some time to adjust to a professional environment and learn how to balance work and school life, I feel that I have gained valuable insight into what my future could look like as a professional offering therapy services. Through this internship, I was able to observe and participate in various aspects of the work that goes into running a small non-profit organization, including administrative tasks, grant writing, and client interactions.
However, the most valuable aspect of my internship has been being able to observe and participate in therapy sessions. I have been able to take part in both music and drama therapy sessions for clients ranging in age from four years old to 96 years old with various disabilities such as autism, cerebral palsy, and dementia. It is very difficult to gain hands-on clinical experience at the undergraduate level in psychological services, so I am very grateful to have been given the opportunity to see therapy in action and witness the benefits it can have. This aspect of my internship really helped to solidify my desire to be a therapist.
I have been able to learn so much about myself and my professional likes/dislikes and strengths/weaknesses. This internship experience with CFS has helped me to form a clearer picture of what my ideal career would be. I am very appreciative of the support that CFS has offered throughout my internship experience.