Matias at Reza Baniassadi Law

20140611_163241Name: Matias

Year: Exchange Student

CFS Program: Legal Field Studies

This quarter I’m interning at Reza Baniassadi’s law offices, specialized in immigration law. Despite the fact that it is a small legal office, I’ve had the chance to learn a lot, not only about immigration procedures and immigration law, but also about social issues and challenges that immigration poses in the United States. This internship is my first long professional experience and I have enjoyed all the tasks assigned to me: it has been truly a very enriching experience so far.

As an exchange student, the Chicago Field Studies program is a unique opportunity that allows me to complement the classes I took the two previous quarters with a hands-on experience within the American labor market. My internship has allowed me to learn new skills, get used to a different work environment completely different from the classroom environment, and to get a bigger knowledge about immigration law and immigration-related issued in the US. It has also been a good opportunity to know different people and to put into practice some of the material I’ve learned from my classes.

One of the most remarkable characteristics of this program is the meticulous advising and monitoring from the CFS staff. Even before enrolling in the program, students interested in it get an information session where the program is presented. Then, once accepted in the program the advisors help the students all through the process of application to the internships: during this phase I got advice on my resumé and I had the chance to pass a mock interview where my interviewer provided me with useful feedback and tips. Finally, during the internship the CFS staff is always available for any inquiry or any doubt or worry that we might have. One thing is for sure, I never felt alone or helpless during this whole process.

However, the CFS program is not only about the internship and it also includes a weekly class. Every Monday I take a class that is directly related with my internship, focused on the legal professions. It has proved a very useful tool to take even more advantage of my internship and the subjects that we discuss are interesting. I would definitely recommend this program to everyone interested in developing their work experience and willing to learn more about themselves, given that is an experience that definitely helps defining one’s professional projects.