Jaclyn’s Experience With Social Justice

Jaclyn PachicanoName: Jaclyn

Year: Junior

Major: Psychology

Minor: Latino Studies

CFS Program: Field Studies in Social Justice

My CFS quarter was one of my favorite Northwestern experiences. I interned at Upwardly Global, a non-profit organization that empowers highly skilled immigrants and refugees by helping them rebuild their professional careers in the United States. Since the Chicago office only has 10 employees, I was able to work closely with everyone and learn about their specific roles in the organization. My work focused on helping job seekers in the training program and planning events like mock interviews and speed networking.
While I really enjoyed my time at Upwardly Global, the most significant part of my CFS quarter was the Field Studies in Social Justice course. The course focused on social justice issues in Chicago such as gentrification, immigration, racism, and patriarchy. Professor Mumm assigned readings ranging from academic publications to local media reports in order to provide us with various viewpoints on each issue. One of the qualities of the class I really appreciated was that Professor Mumm valued everyone’s voice. He rarely spent any time lecturing, instead he encouraged us to lead the discussions and learn from each other. Almost every week, he would invite a local activist from the community to talk more in depth about the week’s topic and what activism in that area looks like.
I also had fun doing the assignments for the Field Studies in Social Justice class. My favorite was an open-ended ethnographic report that allowed students to explore any social justice related issue. I chose to look at the relationship between Christianity and social justice activism. I met with two individuals who had strong connections to their church and to activist groups. I also attended a rally at St. Pius in Pilsen. This assignment allowed me to make connections with specific social justice organizations and view social justice from a completely different perspective.
Through student presentations, activist speakers, rich discussions, and a wide variety of literature, I have developed a strong knowledge of social justice issues in Chicago. My CFS class made an impact on me because it was a fun and engaging way to learn about issues that I am very passionate about in an academic setting. I enjoyed hearing the stories and experiences of my classmates and other Chicago residents who are actively involved in social justice movements. I am extremely grateful for this experience and I know I will be talking about it for a long time after it is over.