February 2024 NUSAC Member Spotlight

Our February 2024 NUSAC Member Spotlight is Rebekah Sigman, Assistant Director of Community Relations, Department of Athletics and Recreation

Name: Rebekah Sigman
Title: Assistant Director of Community Relations
LINKEDIN: www.linkedin.com/in/rebekahsigman
Unit and School/College: Department of Athletics and Recreation
Year Started at Northwestern University: 2016
Year Joined the NUSAC Council: 2023

Why did you join NUSAC? During my time at Northwestern, I have been fortunate to see many different sides of the university – from working in an academic unit, to working in athletics, and serving with The Association of Northwestern University Women. I believe this is a nuanced combination of experiences that affords me a unique perspective. I wanted to bring this perspective and passion to NUSAC, as I have benefited from their work since joining the staff in 2016. My favorite aspect of working here is the people, and serving on NUSAC affords me the opportunity to both get to know and serve a larger population of people.

What is the most important thing your NU staff colleagues should know about NUSAC? For volunteer staff groups, it is not always clear what is within and outside of their capacity. I think it is important to know that NUSAC is a group of volunteers, but they are a passionate group who willingly devote extra time to the university community. That perspective helps to frame our scope and mission.

What issue are you most passionate about related to improving the NU experience for staff? Because I believe the best thing about the university is its people, I would like to increase community building and engagement amongst the staff. As staff, I believe we struggle to set clear expectations of what that could look like because we exist in dozens of different departments and units. We cannot fully undo our silos, but I believe we can exist in a more shared space.

What do you most enjoy about your work at Northwestern? Generally, it is absolutely the people! I have met the most wonderful and passionate people through my work at Northwestern. Additionally, in my specific role, I love that I can broaden that to the entire community. I am always connecting with non-profits, school districts, community leaders, etc. – and that is undoubtedly the best part of my role.

What is a little-known fun fact about you? I share the same birthday as my sister, but I am not a twin! We were born four years apart to the day.