Jason Gorham

Cohort: 3

Where are you from? 

I moved to the United States when I was around 9 years old from Wales, U.K and lived in many different states including Illinois, Iowa, Wisconsin, Washington D.C, and Tennessee. Home for me is Bay St. Louis, Mississippi.  

Why did you decide to apply to NPEP? 

I applied to NPEP because I had a goal of getting a degree for years. The pandemic interrupted my academic journey and put a halt in my education and any goal I had in pursuing my degree. When I learned of the NPEP, I jumped at the opportunity to be a part of it. I’m excited by the opportunity to learn new things and welcome new challenges. 

What does being a part of NPEP mean to you? 

Being a part of NPEP means a great deal to me! This program gave me the opportunity to give my life more value. Knowing that I have a vision gives me purpose and a great sense of community in an environment where I can flourish and live up to the greatness I know I possess.   

What has been your favorite NPEP reading? 

My favorite readings have been from the Philosophy of Punishment and Incarceration class. Learning about the different forms, theories, and models of punishment is a real eye-opener to how punishment is viewed and distributed in the current criminal justice system. 

What is something you would like others to know about you as a student? 

I genuinely enjoy learning and applying myself to my work. Even if I get an A+ on my paper, I like to get feedback to see what I did best. I always give my best effort and I’m not afraid to ask for help or act like I know something because my goal is to learn.  

What is a fact about yourself that others might find surprising? 

I memorized Act III of William Shakespeare’s Hamlet soliloquy, “To be or not to be.”