Donate to Help Mitigate COVID-19 in Illinois Prisons & CCDOC
The Northwestern Prison Education Program (NPEP) is collecting donations to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in Illinois prisons, including Stateville and Logan Correctional Centers, where we run our liberal arts educational programs. Through the Northwestern community’s incredible generosity, we have raised over $6,000, which allowed us to purchase
- 7600 bars of soap
- 2400 surgical face masks
- 10,000 gloves
- 100+ gallons of hand sanitizer
- 1,000 individual hand sanitizers
NPEP is initiating a third round of fundraising to support the 5,000 people incarcerated at the Cook County Department of Corrections (CCDOC) here in Chicago, where Northwestern faculty and graduate students have taught dozens of courses over the past several years. It has been reported that there are now over 100 confirmed cases of COVID-19 at CCDOC. There are three different ways you can help in the face of this crisis:
- Monetary donations can be sent via Venmo to:@NPEP-Donations
- Monetary donations can be made through: Our Northwestern University We Will campaign.
- Physical items can be dropped off to the porch of the NPEP office (405 Church Street, Evanston IL 60201): Please notify Anne d’Aquino when you are dropping off items (email@example.com, or by texting/calling 224-420-7096). If drop off is not an option, please reach out to Anne and we can coordinate a pick-up.
NPEP COVID-19 UPDATE
Due to the current state of COVID-19, all NPEP programming is postponed until further notice.
- Until further notice, all in-person NPEP courses, study halls, and events are canceled; all NPEP courses will be taught via correspondence.
- The Goodman Theater performances of Stateville Voices, originally scheduled for 03/30 and 03/31, are postponed. New dates will be made available as soon as possible.
- The NPEP training sessions for new tutors, originally scheduled for 04/01 and 04/03, are postponed. New dates will be announced as soon as possible.
Incarcerated students in NPEP are not charged for tuition or any course-related expenses. Your donation today will help NPEP expand its transformative educational programming to meet the needs of the underserved prison population in Illinois.