Flynard Miller

Cohort: 2

Where are you from?

West Side of Chicago. 

What is your favorite field of study/topic?

Writing.

What is something you would like people to know about you as a student?

I am a hard worker, I’m very approachable. I enjoy study hall. If you see me don’t be afraid to speak. I like to enjoy friends. 

What does being a part of NPEP mean to you?

It means opportunity. The opportunity to prove to the world and myself that a young black kid from the West Side of Chicago can perform at a high level and become a scholar. The opportunity to be equal amongst my peers. 

What course has had the biggest impact on you and why?

I’ve enjoyed two courses. One is TV Drama by Professor Brett Neveu. Writing is one of my passions and Professor Brett’s style of teaching helped tap into my brilliance. And the second course is chemistry with Dr. Andrea d’Aquino, Ph.D. She is an amazing instructor. 

What is your favorite book or article that you have read in your NPEP classes?

My favorite book (“Hidden Figures”). Because it tells the story of women who were heroes that never got the spotlight. Big ups to all the women making it happen behind the scenes. 

What assignment (paper, project, homework) have you found the most rewarding?

I’d say a quiz in Psych 202: Statistical Methods in Psychology. I’d studied the night before, but in class that morning, I “blanked” before I took the quiz. I was nervous and not sure of myself. Next class, I got 10 out of 10 right. It was the most rewarding for me.

Flynard’s Featured Work:

Read Flynard’s TV pilot that he wrote for his RTVF360 class with Professor Brett Neveu:

“Brandish”

Flynard’s article “The Criminal Justice System Would Benefit From Prison Education Programs” was published in Prison Journalism Project:

Read the Article