Craig Harvey

Cohort: 1

Where are you from?

Taft Homes/Peoria, Illinois. 

What is your favorite field of study/topic?

Sociology.

What is something you would like people to know about you as a student?

As a student, I not only have a responsibility to learn but also to share my knowledge and educate my peers and professors about Craig Breyon Harvey. That’s me!

What does being a part of NPEP mean to you?

Being a part of NPEP to me means redemption and liberty. I believe the motivating factor of any person to evolve is learning and being educated. Not just learning in an institutionalized setting, but also through socializing. NPEP has afforded me an opportunity to meet some beautiful new people.

What course has had the biggest impact on you and why?

Every course has impacted me greatly because I’ve learned how to apply information to my everyday life. Yet because of my current living situation, Prof. Bedi’s law classes have had the biggest impact on me as a pro-se litigant.

What is your favorite book or article that you have read in your NPEP classes?

My favorite so far has been Gloria Anzaldúa’s “Borderlands/La Frontera.” This book’s message resonated with me because I have lived my entire life in borderlands: welfare recipient, public housing, Section 8 resident, a prisoner. My skin tone is a borderland itself.

What assignment (paper, project, homework) have you found the most rewarding?

The project that has been the most rewarding is my biology project. I wrote about how Illinois courts acknowledge DNA testing as a science with great credibility, but neuroscience testimony has been met with great resistance. When in fact both neuroscience and DNA testing are based on an evident sequence of patterns.