Anthony Triplett

Cohort: 1

Where are you from? 

Chicago.

What is your favorite field of study/topic?

Philosophy and journalism.

What is something you would like people to know about you as a student?

As a student I consider myself to be detail-oriented, hardworking, and ambitious. I believe NPEP represents a certain standard, and I’m willing to meet that standard by any means. 

What does being a part of NPEP mean to you?

I consider being part of NPEP as a form of “redemption.” NPEP allows me to be part of something positive, from an educational perspective, which also embodies what I want to be, in and out of the classroom. 

What course has had the biggest impact on you and why?

The criminal justice writing class taught by Professor Alex Kotlowitz has had the biggest impact on my NPEP journey because writing is a passion of mine. The criminal justice writing course allowed me to find the weaknesses in my writing as well as the strengths. The course itself made me a better writer, and for that, I am forever grateful. 

What is your favorite book or article that you have read in your NPEP classes?

“Writing My Wrongs” by Shaka Senghor is probably the best book I’ve read since I’ve been part of NPEP because it talks about a man in the same situation as me. He finds “writing” on the inside while using it as a tool to get out of prison.

What assignment (paper, project, homework) have you found the most rewarding?

The best paper I’ve written was an “omniscient god.” The paper basically asks the question: If He is all-powerful and knowing, then why doesn’t he intervene to prevent evil? It gave me the opportunity to question and highlight all the attributes we attach to God.

Anthony’s Featured Work:

Anthony’s poem “Today vs. Tomorrow”:

Today vs. Tomorrow

Anthony’s article, “My Monday Privileges,” published by the Prison Journalism Project:

My Monday Privileges