Getting Involved at HBR Consulting

on

Name: Audrey Wu

Year: Sophomore

Majors: Civil Engineering, Economics

CFS Program: Field Studies in the Modern Workplace

Employer:  HBR Consulting

In my fourth week at HBR Consulting, I feel like I have already learnt so much. Although the pace of work in the first week was slow and consisted of mostly administrative work and onboarding with the team, things quickly picked up. Since coming here, I have finished multiple little projects and shadowed my mentor through multiple client meetings. I have learnt new Excel skills and even self-taught myself the VBA coding language in order to complete a projet for my mentor.

The weekly CFS class has been very stimulating. Our instructor, Andrew, is very encouraging and open to hearing the ideas of everyone. Through this class, I have not only been able to learn more about the concept of ‘work’, I have also learnt more about the CFS experiences of my peers. We take turns presenting on our firm and work and there is plenty of time each week for sharing and discussions.

I have also started sending out emails to collegaues in my firm to meet them for coffee chats. There have not been many opportunities to talk to people in HBR Consulting outside of my team and I hope to spend some time getting to know the people outside my team. Overall, it’s been a steep learning curve and it has definitely given me some insights into the corporate world.