Meet CFS Alum: Natalie

Name: Natalie
Class of 2013
Major: Biological Anthropology
Minor: Global Health
CFS Program: Field Studies in Public Health

I had never really had an internship in a clinical setting before participating in CFS this quarter. This program gave me the opportunity to work, learn, and grow in an environment outside of my typical academic schedule. I had so many learning experiences that I would have otherwise not had in the classroom. Gaining real world experience and being put in situations where I had t make real decisions was very important! It is a great learning opportunity for all students.

I liked some of the one-on-one support I received early on in choosing an organization. In general, I wouldn’t have even been able to foster my skills and qualities at my internship without CFS. The staff is dedicated to continuing the program for years to come, and I appreciate this engaging and inclusive environment.

[My instructor] was really interested and engaged with this material, and this was obviously manifested within our lectures and discussions. This was also evident as she herself has studied the articles and has a similar framework through her own educational journey. Due to [her] own personal interest and passion about the subject, I myself had an increased yearning to learn more about these themes and concepts associated with public health. I also think that [she] is really willing to cultivate the potential and qualities within all of us, and this ultimately helped us succeed not only within the course and internships, but in our future choices as well. While I have a strong background in similar topics, this class gave me a more “encompassing” view on how to approach health…I think this will definitely stick with me through my continued academic journey.