Meet CFS Alum: Melody

Name: Melody
Current Year: Senior
Major: Economics & Statistics
CFS Program: Business Field Studies

This year, I decided to take a break from the routine of taking required classes every quarter. CFS provided a way to do that while still receiving class credit, so I enrolled for the Business Field Studies program spring quarter.

Initially, I was very stressed. About the time when most people had already begun to receive offers, I had only gone to one interview, and it did not turn into an invitation. The firm that I had interviewed with was my first choice, and I was extremely upset and disheartened by the result. I actually told Karen, the person who facilitates the entire process, that I wanted to quit CFS and take classes instead. However, she gave me much encouragement, and convinced me to stay in the program until I was absolutely sure that I would not be able to secure an internship for the spring. After my conversation with Karen, I began to receive multiple interview requests. I actually declined the first offer I got, which was a risky decision because I had no other offers at the time, but I knew that I would rather take classes than spend eight weeks in an internship that did not meet my expectations. Eventually, one firm extended an offer to me just a few weeks before winter quarter was over, and I was overjoyed. So, in the beginning, don’t lose hope when it seems like everyone is getting offers except for you, don’t lower your standards, and consult with Karen when you need advice.

Before resumes are sent out to employers, CFS holds mock interviews conducted by past CFS students, usually seniors or recent grads. After everyone signs up for one session, the form is reopened for additional signups. Make sure to do this. I think there will be very few opportunities in the future when people with more experience will offer their time to help you with your interviewing skills without seeking anything in return. I wish I had signed up for more than two sessions. The first person who interviewed me was very tough, and gave me much constructive criticism. It was hard to swallow at the time, but I can now truly appreciate his honest feedback, because it made me want to work harder to better my interviewing skills.

Overall, my internship experience was a positive one. I certainly learned a lot, both technical and soft skills; some lessons I had to learn through mistakes. I was able to develop a product that will be very helpful to the firm and I formed strong relationships with my supervisor as well as my coworkers. Just remember that the internship is what you make of it, so go into it with an open mind, even if the people working around you are not doing what you want to do in the future. I am confident that at the end of your internship, you will also feel that it was a rewarding experience.