PhLing: Alexis Wellwood (Northwestern)

Date: February 17, 2017

Time: 1:30-3:30 pm

LocationKresge 4354

TitleWhat do comparatives with plurals mean?

Abstract:

Many authors have explored the syntax and semantics of sentences like (1), and overall their compositional semantic properties seem well-understood. Sentences like (2) have received less attention, and so far nothing approaching a consensus about their meaning exists. Early hypotheses have been judged too strong, or too weak, and recent approaches raise issues of their own. This is puzzling in light of broad agreement about the properties of the critical parts of (2).

(1) The red dot is bigger than the blue dot.

(2) The red dots are bigger than the blue dots.

Some authors have proposed determinate truth conditions for (2), while others have suggested it is somehow indeterminate. I provide experimental evidence that tells against both kinds of proposals, while suggesting considerable variation across (and within) speakers. This raises questions about why (2) has such an enigmatic character.

8 thoughts on “PhLing: Alexis Wellwood (Northwestern)

• February 10, 2024 at 8:57 am
    Permalink

When it comes to essay writers online, EssayHub https://essayhub.com/ stands out as my go-to choice. Their platform connects me with skilled professionals who not only deliver high-quality work but also ensure timely submissions, relieving the stress of looming deadlines. With EssayHub’s online essay writers, I’ve experienced unparalleled convenience and efficiency.

Reply
  • February 23, 2024 at 7:12 am
    Permalink

Hello, all friends and colleagues, moving company cost , the service helps when moving, transporting things, using such a service allows you to save time on organizing transportation and focus on other aspects of moving, instead of wasting time and effort on transporting things yourself, you can transfer this responsibility to professionals and be sure of the quality and safety of your property.

Reply
  • February 26, 2024 at 3:26 am
    Permalink

Hello all. Power Play game is an excellent choice for players in Canada and beyond. With its established reputation, wide range of games and generous bonuses, this game really has everything I look for in an online game – I’m already looking forward to playing again and exploring all that Powerplay game has to offer!

Reply
  • May 30, 2024 at 11:25 am
    Permalink

One day, I decided to surprise my wife by buying a new air conditioner for the house. I was looking for something reliable and came across the website https://serviceservotech.com/air-conditioning/ac-repair-installation/. The site is very convenient and easy to use. I found a lot of information about different types of air conditioners and their installation. I especially liked their promotions and discounts. I chose the right model and ordered the installation. The work was done quickly and efficiently, and now the house is cool and comfortable. I am very pleased to have found this site. I recommend it to everyone!

Reply
  • July 5, 2024 at 11:45 am
    Permalink

I really enjoy gаmbling and bеtting on sports. By the way, just recently I was looking for a site where I could do it in Kenya. And I found this https://1win.info.ke/1winsportsbook/ site and realised that here I can safely bеt on sports and gаmble. I recommend everyone to find out more about it, because this is where you can discover a lot of cool ways to make money

Reply
  • August 1, 2024 at 1:43 am
    Permalink

I would like to recommend you a site that was a real discovery for me mobile app review . The sheer number of sporting events on which you can bet is simply astounding. It is especially nice that you can always find something interesting. Customer support is top-notch, always ready to help and answer any questions.

Reply
  • September 12, 2024 at 5:14 am
    Permalink

For table game enthusiasts, rocketcasinologin.com is definitely worth checking out. They offer an extensive range of card games and strategic table options, catering to players of all experience levels and budget sizes. Whether you’re looking for low-stakes tables to practice or high-stakes games for serious play, you’ll find plenty of options. The gameplay is smooth and engaging, and if you’re seeking a more authentic experience, you can opt for their live dealer versions. The live dealer tables bring the excitement of a real gaming floor right to your screen, with professional dealers and high-quality streaming. Additionally, the user interface is designed for ease of use, so you can focus on the game without any hassle. Overall, Rocket provides a comprehensive and enjoyable experience for anyone who loves table games.

Reply
  • September 16, 2024 at 8:23 pm
    Permalink

I like speedrunning to the firetruck in Drift Boss to pass the time in school xD

Reply