Blog

Northwestern Second-Year Prom: Making up for a Lost Milestone

“As most of the Class of 2024 would tell you, I was pretty crushed to have my senior prom and graduation taken away by the pandemic. The biggest lost, in my mind, was not having those prom photos that would be my computer wallpaper or dot my Facebook profile like the profiles of so many other college students. But on May 14th, Northwestern graciously hosted a redemption senior prom for my class at the Congress Hotel on Michigan Avenue! It really felt special having an event with just sophomores at such a beautiful venue, and it was equally as special seeing SAM colleagues covering the prom. While it could never fully replace the experience of a high school prom, I’m still very thankful that this event was put together for my class. My group’s prom photo now sits as my laptop wallpaper.” – Joshua Jung, photographer.

Back Under the Lights: A Northwestern Fourth-Year’s Emotional Return to the Stage

Northwestern fourth-year Jenna Howard-Delman hadn’t stepped foot on the Northwestern Main Stage for almost two years. In October, she returned to a full house. 

Howard-Delman, a Theater major in the Music Theater Certificate Program, performed in the first in-person performance at Northwestern since the pandemic began. The musical titled,  “The Battlefields of Clara Barton,” was a folk-rock musical put on at the Wirtz Center through the American Music Theatre Project. This performance at Northwestern was an opportunity for the playwrights and directors of the musical to receive feedback and make changes according to the audience reactions. For the student performers, it was an opportunity to get back to what they loved doing most. 

“This was the first show back as a real story musical on stage, and we had a lot of precautions to deal with. We had our masks on for pretty much the entirety of the rehearsal process, but we still got to perform unmasked, and it didn’t really feel weird,” Howard-Delman said. “It felt normal to be going back to real, in-person rehearsals. It felt like the right thing to be doing.”

The show was a drastic change from the performances she had been doing the past two years of the pandemic–Zoom shows. Though Howard-Delman’s stage was now one of automated boxes and computer screens, she tried to make the most of the situation. 

“Theater doesn’t translate online very well. I would say I was the happiest when instead of trying to do a normal play over zoom, I tried to engage with the medium that we had in a more interesting way. During the pandemic, they did these storytime videos that were brought in by students. You could kind of do anything you wanted, so I directed and performed in two of those,” Howard-Delman said. 

A silver lining emerged from this situation: increased accessibility to performances, a hard-to-come-by facet of theater. 

“I found that stuff very fulfilling during the pandemic. Because, in terms of outreach, we are able to reach so many more people that way, and I think it’s a really good way to reach people who aren’t able to afford the theater, which is why I’m really glad that they are still streaming productions now. Especially when we’re trying to tell stories that are meant to be hear by a broader audience, I think it’s a really good thing that they seem to be taking an initiative to improve accessibility”

This aspect is something that the Wirtz Center hopes to keep long after the pandemic ends, starting with “The Battlefields of Clara Barton” being available for streaming. And the show wasn’t something any audience member, whether in the theater or at home, would want to miss. 

After a long period deprived of the stage lights, of a packed auditorium and real interaction, Howard-Delman described her return to the stage as an incredibly emotional process. 

“The Clara Barton cast was almost entirely seniors. There were a lot of people who are very important to me, and it was very much a show about connection and sisterhood. To get to come back to live theater with all of these incredible women who I care about so much was very, very emotional. It was a really exciting process,” Howard-Delman said. 

The show was a massive success, and the packed audience left with smiling and tear-stained faces after every night of the show’s run. The message of Clara Barton–the ability to forge a path of light and hope in periods of darkness–was especially relevant for the first in-person performance in the Wirtz Center after the pandemic. 

Now that the ball has begun rolling, the Wirtz Center has a stacked list of upcoming shows for the Spring, with a performance of “Bengal Tiger at the Baghdad Zoo” scheduled for April 22nd to May 1st and “The 91st Annual Waa-Mu Show” scheduled for April 29th to May 8th. Carrying the momentum from the success of “The Battlefields of Clara Barton,” the Wirtz Center Main Stage is soon to be graced by Northwestern talent yet again.

Second-Year Naomi Gizaw Unites Skateboarding Community at Northwestern

For Northwestern student Naomi Gizaw, the summer before her second year was marked by the daily cacophony of skateboard wheels skidding across pavement, laughter, and encouraging cheers from her friends. As she grew to love both the sport itself and the tight community that arose from skateboarding alongside her friends, Gizaw hoped to find a space that resembled this at Northwestern. In response to the absence of any skateboarding organizations on campus, she decided to create this space herself.

“I wanted to continue skating on campus, but there were no clubs. I thought I could get a little group together because there’s already such a good skating community at Northwestern, and it’d be fun to have a club for that.”

And with skateboarders and longboarders constantly scattered along Sheridan road, the potential for a popular skating club was evident. Gizaw enlisted the help of a few of her friends and began the recruitment process.

“It seemed like there were a lot of people interested in a skating club, so my friends and I sent out a Google Form, put it in all of our Instagram bios, posted it on our Instagram stories, and texted it in the Northwestern 2024 class group chat. It spread through word of mouth after that.”

Word spread quickly. Gizaw amassed a total of 58 interested members in just a couple of weeks. As new members continue to trickle in, Gizaw is hoping her club will soon be formally approved by Northwestern Associated Student Government and Student Orgs and Activities.

“What I’d love to do is create a community where you could find time to meet new people over a shared interest that you wouldn’t necessarily be able to meet otherwise,” Gizaw said. “And the club is across all across all different majors and different walks of life, so I think it’d be amazing to to form a community and meet random people and make new friends.”

Interested in starting a club of your own?

Whether you want to start a club that fosters a community of students with the same pre-professional goals or create an embroidery club because the knitting club just won’t suffice, the process is simple!

The application to start a student organization is available on the New Student Org Review Committee’s Wildcat Connection page. To become a recognized org:

• Reach  out to your favorite professor or staff member to serve as an advisor and fill out an advisor acknowledgment form
  • Complete the orientation modules in Canvas
  • Dish all about your club’s goals, values, and objectives in a few short-answer questions.

The approval process typically takes two to three months, and while meetings and general recruitment can take place during this period, event planning and fundraising will have to wait until the application is approved (feel free to start brainstorming, though!) Despite there already being 500 students clubs and organizations at Northwestern, there’s always room for more! Visit the Student Orgs and Activities page for more information. There’s no better way to create the community you’ve been looking for.

Northwestern University’s Coretta King Named to Board of Trustees of International Association of College Unions

Bloomington, Indiana, March 1, 2021

Coretta King, director of operations and events at Northwestern University’s Norris University Center, has been named to serve as an at-large member of the board of directors of ACUI, the Association of College Unions, during the association’s 101st annual conference that ended Friday. King will serve in the post for two years, until the ACUI Annual Conference set for Orlando in March 2023. Since 1914, ACUI has served as a nonprofit educational organization that brings together college union and student activities professionals with the primary mission of building campus community through education, advocacy, and the delivery of services.

King has served as a volunteer to ACUI in various capacities, including as a member of the 2020 annual conference planning team and the association’s diversity, equity, and inclusion programming team. She has served as host emcee for the 2019 Women’s Leadership Institute and has presented educational sessions at both regional and annual conferences. King holds a master of education degree in community counseling from the University of West Georgia and is currently pursuing a doctoral degree in organizational leadership and change management.

As an at-large member King will serve a two-year term and be responsible for:

• Advancing the principles articulated in the Association’s vision and core values.
  • Performing various ceremonial duties such as attending regional conferences, speaking at various functions, writing articles for the bulletin or other ACUI publications at the delegation of the president.
  • Designing and directing the work of ad hoc and task force groups as requested by the president.
  • Serving as liaison on the Board of Trustees for any presidential special appointees as assigned by the president and assisting such appointees in the preparation of annual reports.
  • Nominating qualified members that reflect the diversity of the Association for the leadership positions.
  • Serving as a voting member of the Board of Trustees.
  • Serving on all board committees, and perhaps serving as a committee chair if appointed by the president-elect.
  • Participating in all scheduled meetings of the Board of Trustees.
  • Attending required on-site meetings of the Board of Trustees (at the Annual Conference, the Leadership Team meeting in Bloomington, Indiana, and other potential additional face-to-face board meetings); the cost for attendance at these meetings is covered by the Association.
  • Participating in the review of the Association’s budget.
  • Participating in the strategic planning of the Association.

King described herself as a successful organizational leader who uses a justice-based lens to ensure leaders are challenged and equipped for growth and that policies and programs are vetted for intentionality and equity.

“ACUI has the opportunity to pave the way for open candor with care around our history as unions and the institutional, systemic, and cultural roots of racism,” she said. “We can model for our communities, using research and dialogue, how to build forward with acknowledgement and the integration of local community partnerships with our current student populations, especially in a time when hybrid or virtual engagement is at an all-time high.”

ACUI Chief Executive Officer John Taylor said board members must be willing to engage with long-term goals related to the Association’s strategies, finances, governance, and the representation of other members. He noted ACUI’s member voters saw that King had the qualifications to do that.

“Coretta is one of those professionals who understands how important it is for our association to equip its members with the knowledge, awareness, and behavioral tools to address equity and sustainability within our unions and the personnel that lead these spaces,” Taylor said. “And she has the experience to help the association model and integrate best practices for sustaining our greatest resource, which is our membership.”

About ACUI:
Founded in 1914, ACUI is a nonprofit educational organization that brings together college union and student activities professionals from hundreds of schools in seven countries. Its members work on urban and rural campuses, in two-year and four-year institutions, and at large and small schools. They are students and administrators whose mission is to build campus community. ACUI enriches them all through education, advocacy, and the delivery of services.

Staff Spotlight | Jeff Butler

Name: Jeff Butler

Title: Administrative Assistant

Department: Health Service

Where are you from? I was born in Texas, but have lived in Evanston for about 10 years.

What brought you to Student Affairs? I moved to Chicago from Texas in 2007 and found work when hired as a temp employee for the NU Undergraduate Admissions office. I worked that season but work completed in the spring, so I then worked in other non-NU temp jobs in Chicago. I was invited back to Undergrad Admissions in fall 2008 but that ended in spring 2009 so I again worked elsewhere in a temp capacity. Then I was invited back once more in fall 2009 and by spring 2010 I realized I should try to stay with NU. I was accepted into the NU temp pool and after a few positions found myself working for the NU Health Service in July 2010 which is where I’ve been since then.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern? 10

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs? I  think there’s a definite need to be here by those that work in Student Affairs. We find purpose in what we do for the greater whole as well as what we do for students and individuals. As an admin for the Health Service in particular I’ve realized that I’m glad to help the helpers. My support gets to the students by the direct help I give to the NUHS providers and staff. Knowing I’ve made someone’s life better by my involvement gives me happiness.

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs? Talk to people. If you’re working remotely, this may be a more difficult task than it would have been otherwise, but try to engage in projects with those in your department as well as non-work communications with them. I was able to broaden myself in Student Affairs by working six years as a member of the Professional Development Committee (four years as a member and then two more years as a co-chair). I attended more events, met more and more people in this division and felt more a part of NU than I may have when just within my own department. I’d also suggest walking around campus more (if/when you’re on campus) because I constantly run into wonderful familiar people here, even this past summer when so many were remote but I was present on campus.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career? I feel guided in the way I’ve been able to move from point to point in my life. No one person has done it all, so there are many people and voices that have given me opportunities, inspirations, and encouragement to move ahead each time. I hold them up in honor and thanks and always try to keep my heart open to listen to the right things and the right people.

What inspires you? I get inspired by happiness and hope. Sometimes they’re not easy things to find or to feel. Sometimes it take others to give them when we ourselves aren’t feeling them. Lean on one another when possible. As the Bill Withers song says, “Lean on me when you’re not strong and I’ll be your friend, I’ll help you carry on. For it won’t be long ’til I’m gonna need somebody to lean on.”

What can’t you live without? I can’t live without the love and support of others. Those who give those two things get them in return, and I feel that’s what life is all about.

How do you like to spend your free time? I have been a performer since junior high when I discovered how liberating it can be and how happy it can make other people at the same time. I’ve previously spent time creating comedy with people on stage, in videos, and in writing. Due to this year’s shutdowns I have missed the camaraderie that brings (but I was fortunate to be part of a Zoom play performance last month, so it’s great to push beyond limitations and find new opportunities). I absorb lots of pop culture info as a collector of records, books, films, and toys while having a loving wife who sometimes hears too much from me about all of them. We also just got new dog (an 8-year-old Maltese rescue named Ruthie) and that is the great new friend I didn’t realize I needed.

What’s your favorite spot on campus? I have a few but here’s one for you to find: The garden tribute to Doris Stack.

Staff Spotlight | Valerie Schoonover

Title: Assistant Director, Employer Strategy

Department: Northwestern Career Advancement

Where are you from? Golden Valley, Minnesota

What brought you to Student Affairs?
I had been working in a different role at Northwestern, and I wanted to join a collaborative team focused on career services for students. I was drawn to my position because it me to work with so many different people, all focused on a common goal of helping students find fulfilling careers.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern?  2

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs?
I love the spirit of innovation and creativity in this field. Everyone is willing to try new ideas, and encourage you to succeed.

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs?
When I first started in Student Affairs, I didn’t realize all the nuance and different paths there are within this kind of work. Everyone has strong passion fueling their respective work. Make a goal to learn about all the offices, and to connect with colleagues across the division.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career?
My own college academic and career advisors at DePaul were my inspiration to look for work in higher education. They made an impact just by listening to me in my highest and lowest moments. When it was time to graduate, I wanted to work in a field that could also impact young peoples’ lives.

What inspires you?
Student activists like those on our campus, and the students from Parkland, Florida who created March for our Lives.

What can’t you live without?
Parmigiano reggiano, the Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat cookbook, and political memoirs, and Shonda Rhimes.

How do you like to spend your free time?
Walking, running, and biking. Researching and testing new recipes. Volunteering. Reading. Watching Top Chef.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
The rocks on the lake front.

Staff Spotlight | Travis Martin

Title
: Director
Department: Fraternity & Sorority Life
Where are you from? Marks, Mississippi
What brought you to Student Affairs? A mentor, Dr. Jerald Jones Woolfolk was my Dean of Students as an undergraduate student and upon graduation, she encouraged me to take on my first job in higher education as an Admissions Counselor/Recruiter at my alma mata, Mississippi Valley State University. After I began working in Admissions, she felt that I was good at connecting and mentoring students and encouraged me to consider it as a career and to pursue a masters degree and the rest is additional history. Northwestern is currently my fourth institutional stop in doing the work of educating, engaging, and enriching the student experience for college students.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern?  4

My favorite part of working in Student Affairs is helping students when they are at their lowest points, highest points, and everything between. I enjoy helping setting up systems and structures that enhances their student experience.

Student Affairs is a calling as we work to provide unique experiential learning for students. I see Student Affairs as a vehicle that helps students tie their collegiate learning experience in a complete package to go out into the world to make whatever difference they provide. Student Affairs is a place where growth, development, and learning not only happens for students but also for professionals as we stretch and challenge our own ways of thinking to better support the diversity of the world in which we see on our college campuses. Therefore, as cheesy as it sounds, Student Affairs is not just a career but a way of life.

Dr. Jerald Jones Woolfolk, (mentioned earlier) is still a great voice in many of my career decisions as she continues to provide counsel to me, even in my current role.

What inspires you?
Commencement is one, of many things, that inspires me…not just commencement at Northwestern but any educational institution’s commencement. My family often stressed the importance of education as a tool for liberation and freedom. As a first-generation college student, it inspires me to see students, particularly first-generation students take on the educational task for commencing their progression of improving their own lives and the lives of their community.

I enjoy spending free time with my beautiful family; wife Sharon, daughter MJ, and dog Ace. I have also become an avid cyclist. I enjoy the mental and physical wellness that cycling brings and have allowed me opportunities to explore the Chicago and greater Northshore area. I also enjoy watching football and spending time with other family and friends.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
Lakefill/Lakefront and Ryan Field

Staff Spotlight | Christine DePilla

christine-depilla Title: Assistant Director

Department: Office of Student Conduct

Where are you from? Downers Grove, IL

What brought you to Student Affairs?

As an undergrad, I was very involved in Greek Life and campus life in general. This experience had a very positive impact on my collegiate experience. Through these experiences, I developed a close relationship with some of the professional staff, and learned more about higher education, specifically the field of Student Affairs. I spent winter break of my senior year applying to graduate school. A few hours before my graduation ceremony, I received a call that I was selected for a graduate assistantship in Residence Life (phew!). After graduate school, I have always worked in higher education.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern?  3.5

I love the community atmosphere that exists in Student Affairs. The collaborative nature of the work allows you to work with lots of different people within the division.

Take advantage of the professional development opportunities within the division. Aside from learning more about a certain topic, they are a great way to connect with other colleagues across the division, especially those who you may not work with regularly.

I have been lucky to work with amazing professionals and leaders (past and present) within the Dean of Students Office at NU. A lot have self-growth has happened for me because of individuals on this team.

What inspires you?
I am inspired by the selfless acts of others

What can’t you live without?
My incredible family. Near and far, I feel incredibly lucky to have such amazing people in my corner. Also, Brisk Iced Tea and a good nap.

Binge watching tv shows with my husband, taking my kids for walks in the neighborhood, attending baseball games (Go White Sox), and doing puzzles

What’s your favorite spot on campus?

I absolutely love all the flowers and foliage on campus.

Staff Spotlight | Rob Aaron

Title: Executive Director
Department: Assessment & Planning in Student Affairs

Where are you from?
I’m originally from Glencoe, IL (about 20 minutes north of campus), but I’ve lived in six other cities outside of Chicagoland before starting at NU in 2016.

What brought you to Student Affairs?
I served as a Resident Advisor during my junior year in college, and I was immediately hooked.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern?  3

No two days are alike!

This is a LARGE field, supported by a good amount of research. Get to know the numerous functional areas and professional associations that interest you. Then,introduce yourself to people in our Division who represent the various areas. There are always opportunities to learn more, and our colleagues at NU are among the very best.

I’ve been influenced by solid higher education practitioners who base their work in sound research found all over the higher education field. There are too many to mention here, but all have a common trait: they take time to read and reflect before taking action. Some of those influencers are our colleagues right here at NU!

What inspires you?
I am inspired by innovations of our students, especially as they try out new ideas or areas of research. An example of this is the ImproveNU program, which essentially is like “Shark Tank” for Northwestern. It’s a great example of student innovation backed up by research to solve problems and improve the university. Essentially it’s theory-to-practice live and in person!

What can’t you live without?
My piano: I studied music in college, and I still rely on playing the piano as an important source of my internal energy.

I like to spend free time with my family: my wife, Suzanne; our son, Thomas; and our dog, Duncan, an exuberant Labrador Retriever; as well as our extended family, many of whom live in the area. Our son often will lead us on a hiking expedition in a forest preserve or by the lake. The dog will herd us all together till he’s distracted by a squirrel, another person, a leaf, the wind…

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
Outdoors: Shakespeare Garden; Indoors: Alice Millar Chapel

Staff Spotlight | Holly Adler

holly adler

Title: Financial Coordinator
Department: Residential Services – Budget and Finance
Where are you from? North Brunswick, New Jersey
What brought you to Student Affairs?
I started as a temp for Morty in the president’s office as a favor to Judi Remington. Then I worked for the Provost and the CFO in addition to helping Patricia when Vadal was out of the office. I worked in The Budget Office and also worked in the Diversity and Inclusion office. One day Sheila called and asked me if I wanted to help Theresa Delin out in Residential Services so I went there and worked for a few weeks and she asked to stay. So I did! The Rest is History

How many years have you worked for Student Affairs at Northwestern?  4

I like socializing with all the people.

Ask questions?????

My current boss, David Hartmann

What inspires you?
Reading

What can’t you live without?
My 3 dogs and my family

I love horseback riding, the dog park, boxing, hanging out with my friends and family.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
The telescope in the observatory