Staff Spotlight | Travis Martin

Title
: Director
Department: Fraternity & Sorority Life
Where are you from? Marks, Mississippi
What brought you to Student Affairs? A mentor, Dr. Jerald Jones Woolfolk was my Dean of Students as an undergraduate student and upon graduation, she encouraged me to take on my first job in higher education as an Admissions Counselor/Recruiter at my alma mata, Mississippi Valley State University. After I began working in Admissions, she felt that I was good at connecting and mentoring students and encouraged me to consider it as a career and to pursue a masters degree and the rest is additional history. Northwestern is currently my fourth institutional stop in doing the work of educating, engaging, and enriching the student experience for college students.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern?  4

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs?
My favorite part of working in Student Affairs is helping students when they are at their lowest points, highest points, and everything between. I enjoy helping setting up systems and structures that enhances their student experience.

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs?
Student Affairs is a calling as we work to provide unique experiential learning for students. I see Student Affairs as a vehicle that helps students tie their collegiate learning experience in a complete package to go out into the world to make whatever difference they provide. Student Affairs is a place where growth, development, and learning not only happens for students but also for professionals as we stretch and challenge our own ways of thinking to better support the diversity of the world in which we see on our college campuses. Therefore, as cheesy as it sounds, Student Affairs is not just a career but a way of life.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career?
Dr. Jerald Jones Woolfolk, (mentioned earlier) is still a great voice in many of my career decisions as she continues to provide counsel to me, even in my current role.

What inspires you?
Commencement is one, of many things, that inspires me…not just commencement at Northwestern but any educational institution’s commencement. My family often stressed the importance of education as a tool for liberation and freedom. As a first-generation college student, it inspires me to see students, particularly first-generation students take on the educational task for commencing their progression of improving their own lives and the lives of their community.

How do you like to spend your free time?
I enjoy spending free time with my beautiful family; wife Sharon, daughter MJ, and dog Ace. I have also become an avid cyclist. I enjoy the mental and physical wellness that cycling brings and have allowed me opportunities to explore the Chicago and greater Northshore area. I also enjoy watching football and spending time with other family and friends.

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
Lakefill/Lakefront and Ryan Field