Staff Spotlight | Rob Aaron

Title: Executive Director
Department: Assessment & Planning in Student Affairs

Where are you from?
I’m originally from Glencoe, IL (about 20 minutes north of campus), but I’ve lived in six other cities outside of Chicagoland before starting at NU in 2016.

What brought you to Student Affairs?
I served as a Resident Advisor during my junior year in college, and I was immediately hooked.

How many years have you worked in Student Affairs at Northwestern?  3

What’s your favorite part about working in Student Affairs?
No two days are alike!

What recommendation(s) do you have for someone new to Student Affairs?
This is a LARGE field, supported by a good amount of research. Get to know the numerous functional areas and professional associations that interest you. Then,introduce yourself to people in our Division who represent the various areas. There are always opportunities to learn more, and our colleagues at NU are among the very best.

Who or what has had the greatest influence on your career?
I’ve been influenced by solid higher education practitioners who base their work in sound research found all over the higher education field. There are too many to mention here, but all have a common trait: they take time to read and reflect before taking action. Some of those influencers are our colleagues right here at NU!

What inspires you?
I am inspired by innovations of our students, especially as they try out new ideas or areas of research. An example of this is the ImproveNU program, which essentially is like “Shark Tank” for Northwestern. It’s a great example of student innovation backed up by research to solve problems and improve the university. Essentially it’s theory-to-practice live and in person!

What can’t you live without?
My piano: I studied music in college, and I still rely on playing the piano as an important source of my internal energy.

How do you like to spend your free time?
I like to spend free time with my family: my wife, Suzanne; our son, Thomas; and our dog, Duncan, an exuberant Labrador Retriever; as well as our extended family, many of whom live in the area. Our son often will lead us on a hiking expedition in a forest preserve or by the lake. The dog will herd us all together till he’s distracted by a squirrel, another person, a leaf, the wind…

What’s your favorite spot on campus?
Outdoors: Shakespeare Garden; Indoors: Alice Millar Chapel