Todd Mandoline

Cohort: 1

Where are you from?

Villa Park, Illinois. 

What is your favorite field of study/topic?

Sociology and community building.

Describe yourself in three words.

Living the dream.

What does being a part of NPEP mean to you?

Life changing. It has brought me into an amazing community of individuals. Between both my classmates and everyone involved outside, I feel a love and support that gives me the strength for the daily struggles of incarceration.

Why did you decide to apply to NPEP and what are you most excited about?

I wanted to seize the opportunity to finish my college education and there’s no way I could have passed up the chance at being a Northwestern student. I’m ecstatic to receive my Associate’s Degree and experience the graduation ceremony with my classmates.

What is something you would like people to know about you as a student?

I’m extremely grateful for Professor Lackey and NPEP for giving me this opportunity to learn and work toward one of my life’s greatest achievements. As a student, I’m willing to grow and see how I can apply my education to my life experiences and passions. Overall, I’m engaged and excited to be back in the classroom; I’m eager to see where my education takes me.

If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be?

As an avid basketball fan, I’d choose Kobe Bryant because of the example he set as a father, coach, mentor, and overall human being. If I had to sub, I’d go with LeBron James because he appears to be a positively genuine person who is committed to bettering the world. He succeeded at staying true to himself and his values over two decades of being a global superstar. Yes, I am a HUGE fan of the Lakers!