Scot Miller

Cohort: 4

Where are you from?

I have lived in Alabama and Chicago. I am a city slicker but a country boy at heart.

Why did you decide to apply to NPEP? 

I decided to apply to NPEP because I have always wanted to be a lawyer. Northwestern has one of the best law schools in the country and if I became a part of NPEP, I would be one step closer to my dream. I worked in a prison law library at Menard Correctional Center for six years and I have a certificate from the Illinois Department of Corrections as a law clerk. I do not like being called a jailhouse lawyer but I do enjoy helping others navigate the criminal legal system. When I was first incarcerated, I knew nothing about the law and it felt as if I had no control over my future. I taught myself the basic legal principles in an effort to have a sense of agency. I began delving into the law in order to help myself get out of prison. I soon learned that I could help others avoid making the same legal errors that I made as a legal novice. Eventually, I exhausted all of my legal remedies and I became frustrated with the law.

What does being a part of NPEP mean to you? 

After seeing a flyer for NPEP, I became hopeful once again. I thought that this may be my opportunity to attend the school of my dreams. I became ready to dust off the law books and rejoin the fight. Being a part of NPEP means getting an opportunity at redemption. Growing up, I was afforded a few more opportunities than many of my friends. One of the opportunities was to go away to college. I attended Tuskegee University in Alabama. I was 17 years old the year I began college. I had never been away from home and I was terrified. I felt lost, alone, and homesick. I ended up dropping out, moving back home, and feeling like a failure. I worked multiple dead-end jobs while moving back and forth from Chicago to Alabama. Since becoming a part of NPEP, I believe that I can maximize this opportunity to become a college graduate. The support that I have received from the professors, tutors, and wellness team has been remarkable. I feel like I have unlimited options. I believe that being a part of NPEP means that my dream of becoming a lawyer will come to fruition.

What are you most looking forward to as an NPEP student?

As an NPEP student, I am looking forward to inspiring others. I was inspired to apply to NPEP after seeing people that I knew on the flyers for NPEP. I want people to hear my story and know that prison is not the end of my book — there are many more chapters left to be written.

What is something you would like others to know about you as a student? 

I would like people to know that I have one son, Jerrod, who inspires me to strive for higher education. He is working on a master’s degree from Leeds Beckett University in England, where he also played football. I would also like for people to know that I have not been idle for the past 24 years of my incarceration. I taught myself the legal fundamentals while working as a law clerk. I have been a group facilitator for classes such as Thinking For a Change, Impact of Crime on Victims, Lifestyle Redirection, Houses of Healing, Substance Abuse, Trac-1, HIV-AIDS, and Start Now. I have been a peer educator and mentor. I have been a member of the Knox College book club. For the past 15 years, I have participated in Faith Behind Bars with Lewis University and Dr. Christine Billups. I helped raise over $700 for Chester Illinois’ Food Pantry. I also helped raise almost $3,000 for By The Hand Club for Kids. I intend to continue my education while assisting others as much as possible. I plan on, one day, becoming a lawyer.

What is one thing others might find surprising about you? 

One thing that others might find surprising is that I am in prison because the Chicago Police Area 5 detectives coerced a confession from me. This is the same police station that disgraced former officer Reynaldo Guevara, and victimized dozens of people into false confessions and identifications. Although he was not involved in my case, he worked there at the time of my arrest. The type of crimes that he committed don’t happen without others either being complicit or silent about them. His conduct was part of the culture at Area 5. I intend to become a lawyer, obtain my freedom, and fight for justice for the victims of Area 5. I believe that being a part of NPEP will start me on the path to realizing this goal.